• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas

labman1177

Heard gas is going up 25cents a gallon come Sunday. Better get some tomorrow while it's still a cheap $3.62 a gallon. Might have to trade the old Bronco in on a Ford Focus soon..

OP
OP
labman1177

labman1177

Damn there's gotta be some hot chicks out there in California to help ease the pain of those high gas prices. Ouch!!

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I knew diesel would be cheaper than gas this summer.. It's only going to go higher with Iran and Obama in office. :-X

Lets approve the keystone pipeline and we can worktoward becoming energy dependant and lower OUR cost of fuels in this country.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've been saying do some drilling in alaska. not saying litter the state with rigs, just a dozen or so. it'll also create some jobs.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
The Baken Shale in North Dakota and Wyoming (also streches into Canada) has enough oil reserve to last for 100 or so years and that is not depending on outside sources for oil either. Alaska would also be a great alternative.

The problem with everything up north is that everything has to be trucked out or put on railways. There is not infrastructure like there is going in the south.

Back on topic: I will go fill up my (7) 5 gallon tanks for the summer months of mowing and even go ahead and fill up the bronco.

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
Payed 4.17 for diesel today on the indian res.. it's like 4.37 anywhere else around here. I remember it being damn near 5 bucks for a short time a year or so ago. 2 weeks ago I had 150 gallons of kerosene deliverd to the house and garage to feed the furnaces. cost me something like $676.00. damn

RandyP63

Loc.
Ft. Mill, sc
I just threw an ecu upgrade on my diesel VW, the last tank lasted 700 miles. I just hope it doesn't break, they ain't cheap to fix.

PlaneDrvr99

Loc.
Norman, Oklahoma
Here in Oklahoma, my brother owns a company that converts motors to CNG or a bifuel setup (Can run cng or gas at a touch of a button.) I have 3 trucks in my company that are dedicated CNG and they work perfectly. Here is the best part, CNG here is $1.29 a gallon. I know they dont have many stations across the country but they are starting to pop up like crazy in Oklahoma. So I am looking at adding the CNG option to my bronco. It would be great and cheap to drive around here.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
People will adjust like they always have. I remember driving away from a gas station because it was overpriced at $.40 a gal. Being retired, I limit my driving. Heating oil price is one I can't avoid. Oil prices affect everything we use, not just feeding the Bronco.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here in Oklahoma, my brother owns a company that converts motors to CNG or a bifuel setup (Can run cng or gas at a touch of a button.) I have 3 trucks in my company that are dedicated CNG and they work perfectly. Here is the best part, CNG here is $1.29 a gallon. I know they dont have many stations across the country but they are starting to pop up like crazy in Oklahoma. So I am looking at adding the CNG option to my bronco. It would be great and cheap to drive around here.

There is a big company around here that does that to RV'S, Buses, UPS trucks, and other vehicles. Sounds like it could be a great thing to convert to if you have the filling stations around to gas up.
frenchy

Durtymax

I drove a CNG transit bus from Atlanta GA to Medford Or. Finding fueling stations that are open to the public is a real pita. On the bright side, it only cost about $600 in fuel to drive almost 3,000 miles in a 40' bus. CNG is really clen, safe, cheap, and you get very similar power out it. The only problem is the bulky size of the tank. On our trip it cost less than 1/3 of what gasoline cost us.

OP
OP
labman1177

labman1177

Yea been thinking about converting my work van to CNG for a while now. There is a couple of filling stations around here now too, it's been a 1.85 for like two years at the station here. So are you saying your conversion allows you to switch back and forth from CNG to gas? Wouldn't do it on my Bronco but maybe the van though.

Durtymax

Yea been thinking about converting my work van to CNG for a while now. There is a couple of filling stations around here now too, it's been a 1.85 for like two years at the station here. So are you saying your conversion allows you to switch back and forth from CNG to gas? Wouldn't do it on my Bronco but maybe the van though.

Make sure you get a dual fuel conversion. Some kits only run on CNG. I made that mistake on my shop van and it is a bitch when it runs dry. It has to be towed to the fueling station.

PlaneDrvr99

Loc.
Norman, Oklahoma
Thats right. I have a 3/4 ton chevy 2011 model with the 6.0 ltr. It has a bifuel conversion. If the cng tank goes empty while driving it automatically switches to gas without any hesitation. Or, if I want to switch between the two myself I have a button on the dash that I just push. I get the same milage as I did when I bought the truck brand new and I cant tell of any power difference. My brother tells me that in modern engines with the modern kits you lose no more than 2% power.

His shop is staying busy. He has people on a waiting list to convert. I am all about converting my bronco, but yet again we have cng everywhere here in Oklahoma. If you have natural gas at your house you can even fill up there if you buy the compressor to do it.

I am really sold on this stuff. 10,000 mile oil changes, $1.29-$1.49 per gallon around here, ENgines last for damn near ever. Seriously, one of my company trucks has 288,000 miles and runs like a top. I will most likely have to do a valve job coming up on around 300,000 though. I will go to hardened valves when I do. It saves me a ton of money in my business.

If you drive a lot of miles or gas prices start to stay extremely high then the conversion can pay for itself really quick.

I thought someone said they needed a work van. With a little internet search, you can find the ford 15 passanger work vans already converted for cheap. It may have 70,000 miles but that wouldnt scare me a bit. Cng gives you 80% less emmsisions. Thats 80% less crap in your motor. Seriously at 5000 miles I can pull the oil dipstick and that stuff looks clean as new. Thats why the motors are lasting so much longer.

Drawbacks are the tank size and tank cost.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
all sounds great, but no CNG systems are C.A.R.B. certified........if i were gonna do it to ANYTHING it'd be the ranger because of how much driving i do.

anyway, $4.29 this morning where i was. why in the hell is it as cheap as $2.83 in colorado???? i wanna move back out there!

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
It is $3.38 per gallon across the street from my house. Luckily diesel is still $3.78 and hasnt moved in 4 days. I am hoping that diesel and gas level off at the same price so I can drive the truck more.