• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear Swap and ARB Locker Install help Reno Area

shima77

Loc.
reno
Hello all, I am finishing up the frame off restoration of my 77 Bronco thanks to all the help on this Forum. I have completed all the work myself and would like to learn how to install my new gears and ARB lockers to finish up the project. I have most of the tools required but am a little intimidated by the whole process. I am curious if there are any gurus in the Reno or Northern Nevada area that could assist me with their knowledge and expertise to finish this project. I can provide cold beer, tools, and assist in any way possible to learn this task so that I can repair or help someone else should the need arise in the future. If you guys know of anyone in my area I would love to get in touch with them and look forward to finding some local people to wheel with when my project is finished.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I was in the same boat as you when I did mine. Do a google search - youtube actually has a four-part video on how to rebuild a ford 9". Here is a link that I used when I did mine:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/065/article/Ford_9_Inch_RebuildGear_Setup.html

There are several other documents out there. The instructions included in the ARB are also very good.

Here is a great link for a dana 60 (similar to a dana 44), but it also just has great tips in general:

http://billavista.com/tech/Articles/Gear_Setup_Bible/index.html

I used these references the ARB instructions (and instructions from my new Yukon gear sets) and then posted pictures of gear patterns on this website to get feedback on what was needed. I ended up with really good patterns front and back.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'd never set up gears before, but after pricing the labor I decided to do it myself.

I used the exact two links Devin posted. I now have about 8K miles and several wheeling trips on the 9" and Dana 44 with no problems.

OP
OP
S

shima77

Loc.
reno
I also got sticker shock when getting estimates from shops to do the install...I would rather buy the tools and learn how to do it myself...thanks for the links, I will check them out. Did you need a case spreader for the D44 install, I may try to make one if I have to..I am going to upgrade my front axles at the same time so it will be worth doing it all at the same time.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
No, you don't need a case spreader. Those things are a bit scary, anyway. You can screw up the case permanently if you get on them too much. I just used a 3lb dead blow mallet for mine. Worked fine for me.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
No, you don't need a case spreader. Those things are a bit scary, anyway. You can screw up the case permanently if you get on them too much. I just used a 3lb dead blow mallet for mine. Worked fine for me.

That's exactly how I did mine as well. The rule of thumb for carrier bearing preload is "A few good whacks with a heavy mallet. Any less, it's not tight enough". The fun part is trying to get it back out, when you have it too tight. Do the rear first, so you get used to using the dial indicator and observing how much adjustment affects backlash and gear pattern. The nine inch is much more user friendly than the D44.

Mark

OP
OP
S

shima77

Loc.
reno
Thanks Mark, I was thinking the same thing, cut my teeth on the 9 inch and then work my way up to the D44...I will pretty much rebuild the whole front axle from bearings,seals, ball joints,ect when I put in the new 4340 axle set so that will be a slightly larger task!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'd never set up gears before, but after pricing the labor I decided to do it myself.

I used the exact two links Devin posted. I now have about 8K miles and several wheeling trips on the 9" and Dana 44 with no problems.

DITTO......Did mine over the summer with some help/advice from 70_Steve and while only have under 1K miles on the new gears, all is well.

The 9 is easy (use a soild spacer rather than the cursh sleeve), the 44 is not hard but takes time.....it took me a full day (and a few beers) to get it right. The 44 requires shims under the inner pinion race so I suggest going to harbor freight and buying a seal/race driver set. It was like $20 and made the install of and removal of the race quick and easy and no damage to the case or the race. Bet I had that thing in and out 10 times....

You need a few special tools, setup bearings for the 44 and a dial indicator and magnetic mount. The setup bearings are a MUST have....

I invested in a shop press 20 ton version form harbor freight and some bearing seperators (also from HF) and it made quick work of pressing and pulling bearings. It paid for its self twice over........

Tim