• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear Vendors over/under

laen461

Loc.
Charlotte NC
Has anyone installed Dear Vendors over/under unit? I know it will not work in 4 wheel drive, but seems like a nice feature for street cruising.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Too long. makes for a very short rear drive shaft. Take away the 4x4 parts and it s fine.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You mean sticking one behind the t-case? (I don't see they make one for the D-20..only the NP205 as far as t-cases that fit in EBs)

The rear driveshaft would then be what?...1 foot long? :eek:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Now here is a way to do it. Start with a 435 trans. NW fab makes an adapter that short couples a 435 to a 205. The adapter is only a couple inches. This is about 6 '' shorter than the 435/ 205 combo. The GV will bolt to the back of a 205. The GV is 13'' long but it has a slip yoke on the tail shaft. This is a problem. It needs a drive flange adaptation. I have talked to GV and no way will they make any modifications to their slip yoke design. However if a drive-flange was made to bolt to the tail-shaft of the GV chances are the long 9'' tail shaft of the GV could be made shorter. But a new tail housing would need to be cast / made to keep the oil in the GV. You cant run it without a tail housing. Then a Hi 9 rear to make the pinion angle better and your golden. I think that would work. yeah I asked GV about a year ago. their not interested.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Even if it fit unless you just happen to have a gear venders unit laying around doing a OD tranny swap will be way cheaper. Dont know your current setup but most OD swaps will require regearing the axles as well so you have to add that to the cost.