• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting bronco work started, finally

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I have been searching part numbers and pricing parts for my D44 disk brak axle overhaul and install. Plus the 5 speed swap parts.

Got the D44 torn down yesterday and hope to get it sand blasted and powder coated next week. Maybe finish the hydro boost when I install the axle.

I about to go outside and tear out the 3 speed trans and get ready for the 5 speed. Still not sure if I want to by the ZF cross member or make my own. Since the cross member is now $130 it has me wanting to make my own. Plus I am installing the mazda 5 speed anyways, not the ZF.

See how long it takes to to get this trans out and trash the garage some more.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
The 5 speed swap is at a stand still until Aug 24th. The AA spud shaft with the D20 ZF kit does not fit the output shaft on the trans. Its a very tight fit. So tight I don't think a hammer will get it on all the way and if it does I would never get it back off.

AA said it is a common problem and they will have a replacement Aug 24th. I guess I have time to at least install the trans and make a cross member for it now.

D44 axle and disk brake parts are at the sand blaster then off to be powder coated black.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Keep forgetting pics. Tomorrow for sure. I picked up the resurfaced flywheel today, D44 is powder coated and so are the explorer brackets and intakes. Slowly but surely I am making head way.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
A few pics of the progress. Clutch kit has been ordered and I hope to at least install the trans and get the hydraulics working next week when the clutch kit comes in. Still have to wait on a new spud shaft. I may have to wait on the disk brake D44 install because of funds. The wife keeps getting called off from work, hospital has no patients. I've got most everything for the hydro boost so I may try to install it now with drum brakes. I need to have one hydraulic line made but wont do that until I get everything installed and then measure for the correct length of the line.