• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting hosed

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will be using a stock Bronco V8 three core radioator to cool the 351W. Are there stock off the shelf upper and lower hoses for this pairing? Also, what about a shroud, from what? Also looking for a tranny cooler for the C4.. Thanks. Howard in beautiful and windy west Michigan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it just the non-stock engine, but with all the original Bronco accessories on the front? If so then the stock hoses should work.
Is it just a stock radiator with stock input/output locations? Sounds like it, so I would think stock hoses should work.
The 351's intake manifold is higher up, but by less than 2 inches so there should be enough length in the upper hose as long as you have the same angled thermostat neck.
If you have a different accessory drive, all bets are off.

Shroud? For a Bronco radiator, there is only the Bronco shroud. Anything else and you'll be customizing it, sometimes heavily, in order for it to work.

Trans cooler I'll let others chime in. Running stock is easy if you can source one, but there are bigger and better ones out there. Just have to find/make a clean place to mount it within the air flow.

Good luck.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It works fine if you run the 302 water pump and other front dress from the eb. While you're in there might want to remark the 351 balancer with some timing tape and move the timing mark to the driver side. Wh sells the driver side pointer. One thing you might run into is getting the right lower pulley. Alot of the 351w's have a 4-bolt balancer and the bronco pulley is 3-bolt. I ended up using a set of reduction pulleys back when I did it but now theres better options.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Howard, correct me if I'm wrong but you are wanting hoses for the Explorer, reverse rotation serpentine dress, correct?

I have kind of an oddball radiator as the inlet and outlet size isn't typical so I had to use flex hoses...

from tech right up, see below. Hope it helps.

Stock Bronco Radiator. There are a couple of ways to go for both the upper and lower hoses. On the lower hose, to use the stock radiator, you can make a crossover tube like the one outlined in the www.AZbronco.org website, or purchase one from BC Broncos (Fig. 9C). This will allow you to use the stock part number Bronco radiator hoses. They are mounted backwards and do require some trimming but they do work quite well.

With the 351W block a little trimming of the rubber connector hoses is necessary to get the upper hose to work. For the top hose, many people recommend using an early model GTO radiator hose, but some have trouble getting that to work properly. Another option for the upper hose is a Mr Gasket Flex Radiator Hose Kit from Summit (MRG-11012BL), although it is expensive (around $100 at this writing).

jckkys

Bronco Guru
All this depends on the 351W donor vehicle. If it is a 1969 Mustang there no need to change anything, except the oil pan. For any other donor, all the parts in the front of the engine block can come off the Bronco 289-302. That includes the timing cover, water pump, accessory brackets, the thermostat housing mentioned, harmonic damper, pulleys, fan, and radiator hoses. The timing pointer on the Bronco timing cover is correct for the Bronco harmonic damper. All early Bronco V8 dampers are 28oz. imbalance like all 351Ws. The alternator and power steering pump need adapters sold buy the EB vendors like these;https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...289302-to-351w-alternator-power-steering-pump. Of course the 351Ws from '69 Mustangs already have them.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Hey Howard, Good luck with the hoses. As far as the shroud goes, you would have no problem fabbing one up with your abilities. I made a two piece shroud so I can remove it without having to take off the fan. Made a box from a piece of aluminum and cut out for the diameter of the fan. Welded the top portion of the shroud on and bolted the bottom on. Four screws to remove the bottom piece and the shroud lifts straight up and off. The last pic shows it installed after roughed in. I have since trimmed it and cleaned it up. Works really well.

Attachments

• fan shroud 1.jpg
    fan shroud 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 17
  • fan shroud 2.jpg
    fan shroud 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 19
  • fan shroud 3.jpg
    fan shroud 3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow. Nobody said, "Wish real hard, close your eyes and snap fingers and say 'abracadabra" Thanks guys, I see there's a substantial number of variables, heck. Don, I will be using your serpentine front dress. Guess I'll just dip my toe in the water, one step at a time.