• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GM based Throttle body EFI

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Working on a friends newly acquired Bronco, it's has a 351w with a GM TB EFI. Whose system is this? The CFM equivalency is 475-500 roughly. The harness is labeled clearly for installation. It has a separate ECU. Seems to work fine, just wondering how old and who's system it is.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 111

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My first guess would be Howell as well. My second guess would be Turbo City. Third guess would be AfFordable Fuel Injection. As others noted, Howell was the best option starting in the early/mid 90s after people realized the 1st gen Holley TBI setups weren't very good.

Todd Z.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The 7747 ECU is the most well known in terms of its programming. Search that number to see what I mean. Anyone burning chips for TBI's is going to want you to have that ECU.

I pulled one off of a stock 90-ish Suburban with a 5.7L engine. Ran my own '91 Sub from sea level to 12,400 feet with no problem. I'm seriously thinking of going back to this plan for the Bronc-up.

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
This one works OK, but it's still just an electric carburetor. Still looking for the AAA battery back up location!

Mark

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
They work good most of time

I installed one on my sons 76 K-10 and about a year later we did a LS swap

Sold the TBI setup for $300

The7747 is a stock GM computer
It may have a custom Tune or it may be stock

We unplugged the IAC. That thing drive me nuts
But you have to have it hot and idleing when you unplug it because it will stay in whatever position it was in when you unplugged it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPM289

Got to be a cheaper way to do this! How much is off a GM vehicle? Can you go pull what you need off a chebby truck and use it?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We unplugged the IAC. That thing drive me nuts
But you have to have it hot and idleing when you unplug it because it will stay in whatever position it was in when you unplugged it

That's because the GM systems use a stepper-driven IAC, whereas Ford's are PWM-driven solenoids. I'm installing a new Holley EFI on one of my Broncos and it's set up for the GM IAC...something I hadn't really messed with before.

"Back in the day" Howell was one of the best options out there for retrofit EFI packages. The Holley Projection of the same period generally sucked by comparison..

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Still need that adapter plate thing and the custom programmed computer.

If you pull the system off a 305 (the most common ones out there), you can throw it on a stock 302 without doing anything else to it.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What all do you need to get off the donor car?

Harness, ECM, throttle body and the coolant and O2 sensors. I recently gave away the last one of those I had stashed away....knew I was never going to use it myself because I've been using all Holley EFI since about 2002.

I don't recall exactly, but I think the last GM TBI I stripped off a 305 was out of a 1989 pickup.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
When there was no one else Howell was the answer. Now there are many who burn chips for these ECU's and it's possible and even slightly easy for someone computer oriented to set up and burn chips themselves. I've read some not too favorable things about Howell's programming. Could've been just wanking, may have been justified. No idea myself.

They're not an electronic carb! If you've ever messed with one of those a TBI is a huge step in the simpler yet works better direction. That isn't to imply that a TBI system is terribly smart because they're not. However my experience with them has been that they work surprisingly well considering what they are. I think being able to drive from sea level to 12,400' in elevation over a two day span without any issues or change in drivability (other than lacking power like all NA engines do at those heights) speaks pretty well for the system.

They need a tach signal, a TPS, a coolant temp sensor, an O2 sensor, and a MAP sensor to work. They work better with a VSS signal, but it's not an absolute requirement and most transplants don't have that. The wiring loom is pretty simple and all of it can fairly easily be pulled from one donor. Will need a 15 psi min fuel supply system with a return.

Dead stock they start to run out of everything at about the 300 HP level. There are tunes and tweaks to push past that, but by that point I think that some other EFI system should be chosen.

With comparable displacements I'd expect to only need a custom tune if you're going to give the ECU timing control as well.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
oops..yeah..how did I forget about the MAP sensor? ;-)

And I'm another big "fan" of the often inaccurately maligned TBI. There is so little difference between the performance of TBI and MPFI on mostly stock engines that it's hard to measure. Both get the job done well.

The Holley 950 Commander TBI system can support 1000 HP+ with boosted (SC or turbo) air supply, for example.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I converted an fj40 over to GM TBI used a 90's Camaro harness and computer and reworked the harness and I have to say it was very easy to do. This was all junk yard parts except for the fuel pump and map sensor I believe.

Obviously the FJ had a Chevy 350 in it.

RPM289

Thanks for all the responses! Any issues adapting harness? Schematic on how to do it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk