• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GM TBI using Megasquirt on SBF

Sporto

Hello CB,
I have been doing a lot of reading about different EFI setups these past few months. More for fun and my own education, but I am working on a different project (non-Bronco) that I intend to fuel inject, so there is a need to do research. I have (and will be keeping) the Mustang EFI running on my old non-roller 302 and it runs great. I do like the sniper and other TB setups because they look closer to the original carb, have 21st Century electronics, and allow for a cleaner looking engine compartment and/or the OEM air cleaner, which I like too.

Anyway, in my research I started reading about Megasquirt and some of the ways people have used them to fuel inject their various projects, and the venerable GM TBI emerges as one of the go-to's for these upgrades. They look to be a pretty solid TBI setup, and they're cheap and easy to find. I picked up one last week for 20 bucks on Marketplace from a Chevy 350. While researching these homegrown EFI setups, I started to wonder if anyone in the EB crowd did a MegaSquirt setup with the GM TBI. I have seen a lot of threads how to use MS and the best ways to dial them in, but a lot of these projects were larger bore stroker engines and have a different EFI needs than what I was looking at. So, my question is, has anyone on here taken a GM TBI, adapted it to their manifold, and wired it in with a MS 2 or 3 engine management system?

If so, can you elaborate on what you did? How does it work? What engine do you have etc? I am just curious to know if anyone ever did this with a small block Ford and how it worked out.

Thanks!

Rich

RM70

Contributor
Loc.
Huntsville, AL
My grandfather did that on his 250 I6 in his old mustang, ran fairly well from what I remember. He did eventually pull it all back off and put a 1bbl back on it after he sold off the aussie head.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

My grandfather did that on his 250 I6 in his old mustang, ran fairly well from what I remember. He did eventually pull it all back off and put a 1bbl back on it after he sold off the aussie head.

Did he use the GM TBI? Some guys are running a Ford TBI from Tempos and other cars, but there is a lot of info about the GM TBI online. Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think it is a good exercise. Megasquirt has been around a long time and is well established. I think it could be done with little more than a wide band O2 to get some actual tuning compared to the narrow band O2 that was only a rich/lean indicator.

GM stuff is used a lot simply because it is well documented and there is so much of it in junkyards everywhere. Parts are generally the cheapest you can get your hands on. You know what the injector size is, the code is written for the IAC. I am not a fan of the GM style stepper motor IAC, I think the Ford dithering solenoid is better. Faster response, no need to learn home, etc.

I do like the DIY approach that megasquirt offers. The incredible flexibility the system offers is amazing. You can fuel inject your lawn mower, and turn around and do a twin turbo setup on some unheard of itialian engine, and turn one more time and do a standard American V8. All open source and you get to set it up how you want. I don't know of another EFI that is as versatile but it is also one of the lowest cost EFI setups you can get.

RM70

Contributor
Loc.
Huntsville, AL
Did he use the GM TBI? Some guys are running a Ford TBI from Tempos and other cars, but there is a lot of info about the GM TBI online. Thanks for sharing.

Rich

He used the GM TBI, I sold his setup after he passed away a few years ago because I didn't have a use for it at the time.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

He used the GM TBI, I sold his setup after he passed away a few years ago because I didn't have a use for it at the time.

Thanks for the reply, and I am sorry for your loss.

Rich

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

You can fuel inject your lawn mower, and turn around and do a twin turbo setup on some unheard of itialian engine, and turn one more time and do a standard American V8.

This is what got me started on the research of the Megasquirt. I have an old Packard that I like to drive to shows (and farther) when I can, and even that is risky with the way it runs anymore. The rebuilt carb is such crap because of the new gas that I am looking for an alternative method of fuel delivery. I rebuilt the carb a few times already.

I have done a few Ford EFI conversions, and I want to see about trying something with the MS computers on something else. So this is what I am thinking about. Not sure I like the GM VB throttle body injection on the straight eight though. Too big for the manifold. I have some other ideas for the Packard that I am looking at, but the concept of the MS and the MicroSquirt really got me thinking about building a setup for a Bronco and seeing how it works. Again, I like the look of the oem carb and air cleaner on the Bronco.

Thanks for the input, I will keep reading and asking questions. :)

Rich

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just saw a discussion on TV about a company offering this type of product. One of those Motorhead Garage or similar programs, talking to the folks from PFISYS.com. I don't think their website is fully developed, and looks like the pricing is right around that of the other TBI systems, but might still be worth looking into for those wanting a GM TBI and not wanting to do their own computer and harness.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Just saw a discussion on TV about a company offering this type of product. One of those Motorhead Garage or similar programs, talking to the folks from PFISYS.com. I don't think their website is fully developed, and looks like the pricing is right around that of the other TBI systems, but might still be worth looking into for those wanting a GM TBI and not wanting to do their own computer and harness.
\

Been watching that one myself recently...

lotta damn chebys on there...