• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going from cut to uncut?

DC_Gearhead

Has anyone gone from cut to uncut? I have some work to do on my inner and outer fenders and am debating on going back to uncut. I did some searches on here, but couldn't find any dialog about this. I have to replace one fender, two inner fenders, one quarter, so I'm weighing the idea right now. Some of those LUBR look pretty sweet. I'm building a city Bronco that I will go offroad every once in a while, but I'm by no means building a 4-wheelin machine.

Any thoughts on this?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
This has been done a lot. You can order the replacement quarters for each side. I think JAFO did it on his build.

OR...OR...you could got with "graphed" rear quarters. The price is a bit high $600 each (or you can make your own using front fenders) but it brings the body lines of the rears to the same as the fronts.

I'm planning to do this. My fronts and rears are cut however I just replaced the D-side front. I'll replace the P-side next month and then start on the rears.

Have not decided if I'm buying or making my own rears.

Tim

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

OR...OR...you could got with "graphed" rear quarters. The price is a bit high $600 each (or you can make your own using front fenders) but it brings the body lines of the rears to the same as the fronts.

I'm planning to do this. My fronts and rears are cut however I just replaced the D-side front. I'll replace the P-side next month and then start on the rears.

Have not decided if I'm buying or making my own rears.

Tim

Nice. You have any pics of the graphed ones?

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

I went uncut, I love the lubr look.

I'm thinking I like the look too. The flares look mean, but the LUBR look just looks cool and classy to me. The ICON Broncos are the ones I just keep being drawn to...its just a good look.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I welded the cut outs back in. The OO kept the cutouts in a shed for 40 years. It was an interesting learning process. Would have been quicker to replace the front fenders and rear quarters but I wanted to learn to do this. And I learned a lot! Frankly I'm gong to be afraid to take it out on the street and risk a fender bender.....

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

I welded the cut outs back in. The OO kept the cutouts in a shed for 40 years. It was an interesting learning process. Would have been quicker to replace the front fenders and rear quarters but I wanted to learn to do this. And I learned a lot! Frankly I'm gong to be afraid to take it out on the street and risk a fender bender.....

I've actually infilled quarters before on other cars. I had a 66 VW Deluxe Microbus that had cut fenders about 10 years ago. That was my first experience with MIG welding actually. I learned a lot and at the end, I was scared as hell about a fender bender.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried to graft in panels, then ended up buying new ones. We used 3M panel bond, really it wasn't that bad.

SurfCityEB66

Contributor
LUBR!!
132fbbe92e28783ca9b80e4072c9e272.jpg
91648ad0cb89d1159098ea1b61ea45c4.jpg
a286bf5ac80c99095fb077ba395c9d6f.jpg
68f2fd122fd6350d8ac58051b9ded065.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I had to replace both sides on mine. It was an uncut tub, but rusted through down low.
I cut out the old panel using plasma cutter and 4" cutoff wheel, cutting just inside seams all the way around. Then once open you grind away at the metal, until you feather off the old quarter panel metal, leaving the other side. Then I drilled up from below with self tapping screws and self tapping screws in the rear part, accessing through where light bucket goes. Also screws at front door post. Once you are happy with fit, remove screws one at a time and weld through the hole.

QuarterPanelDS_3_zpsfeysznsf.jpg

QuarterPanelDS_1_zpswkjshno2.jpg

QuarterPanelPS_8_zpsbfc04oz2.jpg

QuarterPanelPS_5_zpshvcz1avc.jpg

All that brown rusty looking stuff around seams on the blue parts is rust converter, rust preventative. My build took years and I would take time off. I had treated different parts as I went so it could sit as I recovered from burn out.
I had to cut out the holes for my gas filler and the marker light on both sides. Measured for those about 20 times before cutting. A member on here was nice enough to measure his and send me the numbers.
QuarterPanelDS_7_zpsmq5edb65.jpg

I seam sealed down the seam at the rear between quarter and taillight housing.
IMG_1813_zps6avgk2gp.jpg

InWoods2_zpsju41fmpf.jpg

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I see that the seam between the quarter and taillight panel are welded. Is that common? Looks good, but is that a good idea?

Not common, but I've seen it before. More common to simply use plastic filler. If you weld the seams, it'll be next to impossible to separate them again.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

I had to replace both sides on mine. It was an uncut tub, but rusted through down low.
I cut out the old panel using plasma cutter and 4" cutoff wheel, cutting just inside seams all the way around. Then once open you grind away at the metal, until you feather off the old quarter panel metal, leaving the other side. Then I drilled up from below with self tapping screws and self tapping screws in the rear part, accessing through where light bucket goes. Also screws at front door post. Once you are happy with fit, remove screws one at a time and weld through the hole.

QuarterPanelDS_3_zpsfeysznsf.jpg

QuarterPanelDS_1_zpswkjshno2.jpg

QuarterPanelPS_8_zpsbfc04oz2.jpg

QuarterPanelPS_5_zpshvcz1avc.jpg

All that brown rusty looking stuff around seams on the blue parts is rust converter, rust preventative. My build took years and I would take time off. I had treated different parts as I went so it could sit as I recovered from burn out.
I had to cut out the holes for my gas filler and the marker light on both sides. Measured for those about 20 times before cutting. A member on here was nice enough to measure his and send me the numbers.
QuarterPanelDS_7_zpsmq5edb65.jpg

I seam sealed down the seam at the rear between quarter and taillight housing.
IMG_1813_zps6avgk2gp.jpg

InWoods2_zpsju41fmpf.jpg

Thanks so much. Those pics and the narrative are over and above what I was expecting. Thanks and you have a sweet Bronco. Looks great! Good job.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
You're welcome. You'll see that as you grind you'll see the old spot welds and you lightly grind and at some point the weld gets so weak the metal with peel apart. If you are careful you'll have the upper quarter, rear taillight housing and rear door post all intact and ready for the new lower quarter. The second side will go easier and faster than the first side you do. Some people use the spot weld drill bit. I do too, but like to grind away the spots using my feather method when I can because then I don't have lots of holes in the piece that is staying.