• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going Point-less - 74 Bronco

medwards01

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
I have been running the same Pertronix Ignitor in my 74 EB (daily driver) for over 4 years with absolutely no problems. The installation is so simple....it's like "going point-less for dummies". You don't have to worry about harnesses, distributor cap clearances, control module locations, or any of the other exceptions identified in some of the posts above....For less than $75, it's the best and most reliable modification I ever performed on the ole steed! ;D

Last edited:

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have been running the same Pertronix Ignitor in my 74 EB (daily driver) for over 4 years with absolutely no problems. The installation is so simple....it's like "going point-less for dummies". You don't have to worry about harnesses, distributor cap clearances, control module locations, or any of the other exceptions identified in some of the posts above....For less than $75, it's the best and most reliable modification I ever performed on the ole steed! ;D

X2^^^ I've been running this setup for 4+ years, simple, inexpensive, dependable, nuf said.

OP
OP
X

xtreme732908

Alright guys, I've read reviews and spoken to friends, and I've decided to go with an MSD setup. Couple questions for someone that knows:

1) The MSD website says that for the '74 bronco I'll need MSD p/n's 8479 (Distributor), 6425 (Ignition Module), and 8202 (Coil). Is this the only setup that will work for the '74? I really wanted to get away from the separate coil design, and was hoping for an integral coil on the distributor.

2) Does anyone know a Painless p/n for the wiring harness to make this conversion? I was really happy with the Painless harness 10113 I installed in this truck, and plan on staying with them vs. cutting in my own wires.

Anyone have any experience installing these systems? Any feedback / stuff to watch out for?

eric0o1

All you really have to do is route the wires from your factory style coil to the MSD box.

Connect wire "#920 Coil +" from the painless harness to the switched 12v wire (small red) of the MSD box. If you are using an aftermarket tach, connect #923 to the tach tab on the box.

I provided a simple diagram on page 68 of the Painless manual for this type of installation.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I use an MSD also. I took the factory distributor and put in a new set of Motorcraft points. You never even need to take the distributor out or change any other parts (unless they are bad including the wires). The points no longer carry the high current switching the coil on/off and they NEVER wear out. They tell the MSD box to fire the coil so the box is doing all the hard work. Then you use the MSD 6A or similar series of MSD box to control the coil. Mount it anywhere you want but not upside down. All done lasts forever in my experience. Some guys bitch about MSD fails but I lost one only in 20+ years of using them in street and drag racing after I hooked up a timing light incorrectly.

You get smoother idle because the MSD fires multiple sparks at low RPM to keep the plugs clean and can burn lean mixtures. If you have a Raly Pac you need a tach adaptor but any aftermarket tach can get the input from the side of the module. You can get lucky and get one on craigslist for $50.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...As far as the conversion goes, I have a new Painless Wiring harness (p/n 10113 complete with Ignition and switches). This includes the Ballast Resistor which I understand will be removed with the new system.

I know you asked this question with regard to using the Duraspark setup, but it bears mentioning that you don't automatically remove the resistor from your ignition circuit when you install a later model, or aftermarket ignition.

Read the info that comes with your new stuff, and use the resistor if your coil needs it.
The control modules and distributors don't always need one (but might), but the coil very often dictates whether you use a resistor or not.

Paul