• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good Source for Switched 12V Connection

Jambi

Contributor
I'm in the process of creating an under dash panel that has 1 fuse block dedicated to constant 12V power, a fuse block dedicated to switched 12V power and a block for grounds. What would be a good source of switched 12V power to power that fuse block?

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Power from the battery to a relay that is energized by the ignition switch. There is a post on the back of the ignition switch you can connect to with a ring terminal. Make sure you fuse that lead from the battery.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You are talking a fused panel that you want switched. That is likely to have multiple items, all likely to be pulling a load often together. I don't know of any switched power source that would be good at doing a whole panel of loads. So the relay switched (factory radio circuit comes to mind) to energize the panel is the better plan.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
You are talking a fused panel that you want switched. That is likely to have multiple items, all likely to be pulling a load often together. I don't know of any switched power source that would be good at doing a whole panel of loads. So the relay switched (factory radio circuit comes to mind) to energize the panel is the better plan.
That’s what I’m telling him to do. Use a relay to power the main buss on the fuse panel. Fuse that hot wire for short circuit and/or overcurrent protection. The radio power wire works fine for switching the relay, or add a wire to the post on the back of the switch. I’ve done that to control nearly every single load in my bronco.

walker_creek

Beware that the 12V power to the post on the back of the ignition switch opens momentarily when cranking the engine. Won't notice this or matter on most things, but I initially used that source to give my Holley Sniper the run signal and it caused intermittent no start issues that were a real treat to trace down.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
bat+ to a relay that switches on with a key on position/lead from fuse box or ignition.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I set my dad's quad up that way. He has lights, switches for tow behind grader, fertilizer spreader, snow blower, hot grips, etc. I ran a keyed signal to a continual duty 100 amp relay (looks like an old Ford starter relay) and then to his auxiliary fuse panel. Being old he forgets to turn stuff off and a dead battery is a pain. Now he can just turn the key off and every circuit goes dead.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm in the process of creating an under dash panel that has 1 fuse block dedicated to constant 12V power, a fuse block dedicated to switched 12V power and a block for grounds. What would be a good source of switched 12V power to power that fuse block?
Jambi, I'm in the process of rewiring my '62 Ranchero. The wiring for this car is much the same as the Bronco, and for most Fords of that era. The American Autowire uses the center stud on the ignition switch for all the standard switched loads. They do warn you however that additional accessories with substantial loads need to be fed through a relay fed from the battery, but you can still use the existing switched power to trigger those relays.
The only separate relay provided in the kit is for the horn.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Beware that the 12V power to the post on the back of the ignition switch opens momentarily when cranking the engine. Won't notice this or matter on most things, but I initially used that source to give my Holley Sniper the run signal and it caused intermittent no start issues that were a real treat to trace down.
What did you end up using as a switched hot source for your Sniper? I'm helping install a kit in a few weeks and I'll probably need the same info.

Thanks,
Todd Z.