• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good things come to those who wait! '67 Military!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Some pics of the outlet on the back:

Attachments

• 100_1893.jpg
    100_1893.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1888.jpg
    100_1888.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 64

farzadmip

So is it a Navy? I've heard Navy were blue, AF grey and army obviously green. Can anyone clarify?

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
So is it a Navy? I've heard Navy were blue, AF grey and army obviously green. Can anyone clarify?

Not Navy. It was originally green, but it got a white repaint at some point. Probably when it became a rescue truck.

From what I understand, they all started green, then were repainted by the branch they arrived at. AF was actually blue, Navy was grey and Army stayed green. Not positive on Marines. This one seems to have stayed green, and I'm pretty sure it was Army.

The Navy Broncos actually had a different dash plaque, like this one:

Attachments

• MilitaryBronco03s.jpg
    MilitaryBronco03s.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 73

farzadmip

AF was blue?!? Anybody have a picture by chance? Someone mentioned that there were so 66s that were military issue but not well documented and they thought my 66 looked like the color the Navy painted them. I kinda wrote it off, but if AF was blue it could make a lot of sense since it was picked up 50 miles outside of Ellsworth Air Force Base...no plate on the dash, but it has been repainted, got me really interested. I'm going to inspect the back of the dash for repair marks.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
AF was blue?!? Anybody have a picture by chance? Someone mentioned that there were so 66s that were military issue but not well documented and they thought my 66 looked like the color the Navy painted them. I kinda wrote it off, but if AF was blue it could make a lot of sense since it was picked up 50 miles outside of Ellsworth Air Force Base...no plate on the dash, but it has been repainted, got me really interested. I'm going to inspect the back of the dash for repair marks.

Yes, the '66s were not well documented. You might just have one!

AF Bronco pic:

Attachments

• IMG_5103.jpg
    IMG_5103.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 115

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
I almost bought that one from CO. When you get your Marti, let me know the paint code. There were two Govt. Green paint codes. I'll dig mine up to compare.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jimmy that is just plain cool!!! Glad to see another military bronco surface. It definitely shares the same bumper as mine. The mirrors are correct! Single stem with the large heads. Glad to see those survived all these years. Here is the tag from my dash. Can't make out your vin number though. How close? tim

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 68

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As far as research indicates, the military broncos were only commissioned for one year - 1967. I've never seen or heard of a '66 one. What I don't understand is that they lasted the one year, then the gov went back to jeeps. Said the broncos were underpowered. Jeeps? Were they not underpowered? And the '67 broncos were outfitted with 289s at the time, yet all the military broncos I've ever tracked were 6 cylinders. Why did they not purchase broncos with the V8s?! Also, the bronco was merely used for administration use - a run-around and personal carrier, not combat. Just some info to share...

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
^^^^^^ I'm thinking because the 6cyl was cheaper and the gov didn't want to spend the $ for the v8.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Jimmy that is just plain cool!!! Glad to see another military bronco surface. It definitely shares the same bumper as mine. The mirrors are correct! Single stem with the large heads. Glad to see those survived all these years. Here is the tag from my dash. Can't make out your vin number though. How close? tim

Mine is 06005, so not super close. Unfortunately, the mirror lens and gasket is missing from the passenger side, so I will need to look into getting a replacement made. I don't expect to get lucky enough to find an OEM one.

I have seen a picture of a '66 U14 being used as a Military truck, but that doesn't mean it was commissioned I suppose.

Btw Tim, I'm gonna send you a PM about that other thing. ;D

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I almost bought that one from CO. When you get your Marti, let me know the paint code. There were two Govt. Green paint codes. I'll dig mine up to compare.

Ordered the Marti last night, I'll post it on here when I get it.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Took her down the road for the first time this evening. Needs some brake work and a good tune up, but overall not too bad. Especially since it sat for several years.

I've installed a plastic rear tank already. The steel one had a lot of rust in it. Next is to replace the carb gaskets (leaking), change oil/filter, brake work, new belt, and a front bumper. That plus a little deep cleaning inside and underneath and I'll be done for a while hopefully. I know better but we can all dream, right?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Didn't the military get a few Broncos in like '75 maybe?

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Didn't the military get a few Broncos in like '75 maybe?

There were a few here and there in the later years. Not very many, and little to no known documentation. Maybe a testing type deal.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Carb gaskets changed, oil and filter changed, new belt, and fixed the vacuum lines for the wipers. Runs much better now than it did at first.

Still have some cleaning and a few more tune up type things to do, plus a front bumper. I also decided that I'm going to buy an exhaust kit from Shelton Manufacturing and install it.

Hopefully I can get all this done and leave it be for a while.