• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

got a '74 and need to know about 351's

G

Here's the deal; I've got a '74. It has a 302 right now but I would really like to put a 351 in it. The only problem is that I can't find a decent 351 Winsor anywhere that is in my price range, anywho. However, we've got an old custom Ford PU out back that has a 351M. I've never heard of anyone putting an M in a Bronco and neither has my Dad. Can anyone please tell me if it is possible? And if not, why. or if so, why don't many people do it. Any info is GREATLY apperciated. Thanks.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
The 351M is a smog era compromise engine. It is a destroked 400 intended for no other purpose other than to pass smog in the big tuna boat cars. It has the 460 bigblock bellhousing pattern, so you will need the bellhousing to put it in your bronco. If you want an automatic then you need to find a c4 with the bigblock bolt pattern which I believe is quite rare, most bigblocks used the c6.
Generally the 351M is more a hassle than it is worth, but they can be built up. They share many of the same components as the 351 Cleveland and some aftermarket companies make parts for the them and the 400. If you decide to use the M I suggest getting a 400 crank for it and some older cleveland 2v heads or the aussie 2v heads, along with a weiand stealth or edelbrock performer intake. But honestly I would continue to look for a windsor or a cleveland.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Go with a Windsor first, Cleveland parts are expensive and are harder to find. If a Cleveland is easier go that route, same applies to the Windsor. Stay away from the "M".

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Cleveland parts really aren't too much more expensive for the standard performance parts, there's just a lot less to choose from. The Windsor has a ton of aftermarket parts and is an excellent engine (and the preferred unit) for the EB. If you must run an M-block, re-gut it to a 400. I don't see the point of having an engine that is dimensionally the same size, but running fewer cubes/less stroke/less torque (except the 460 vs. 429; I'd much rather have a 429). You would get all the torque you would need in the bottom RPM range, but would have more weight up front, and have to change your tranny. I'm pretty sure the early 80s truck motor mounts would mount it to the perches. I'd actually like to hear the results of how a well built 400 in an EB performs.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:eek: :eek: :eek: The M is a big block and almost nothing will work with it you can find the W in vans 1/2 to 1 ton trucks and some of the cars should not be hard to find you should find a good core find a wrecked truck ect. good luck ;D ;D ;D Bill 8) 8) :p

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
[quote author=wolfman link=board=5;threadid=18314;start=0#msg140362 date=1055038409]
;D Now now give the "m" it's do. They make a great boat anchor!
[/quote]

So did the 351W until the 5.0 Mustang craze.....

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
[quote author=wolfman link=board=5;threadid=18314;start=0#msg140362 date=1055038409]
;D Now now give the "m" it's do. They make a great boat anchor!
[/quote]

couldn`t have said it better myself! ;D

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
"ShaZam" pulling truck, Marinette, WI.

Bored and Stroked 400 ,435 C.I. 799 H.P. 667 # T.Q

Sounds like my kind of "boat anchor".