• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got a new VW diesel swap option for us

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
"I do think a TDI could be a viable option in a stripper 66, with a roadster top and smaller tires, no lift etc. Probably would work if you drove it mellowly and kept 60 MPH for reasonable distances."

I agree, gear it with like 4.11 or 4.56 since you will have OD with the AX15, all stock Bronco with stock tires is the way i would run it.

I agree with the early roadster idea too.
No hard top, no doors, Dana 30 in front, small tires; everything you can to keep the weight as low as possible.

68ford

Bronco Guru
A friend had one w/a mech IP conversion in a Toyota 4x pick-up. He couldn't keep it cool under boost. It eventually stuck a piston. Now he's putting a Toyota tD in the truck.

I think an OM617 is a better fit to the EB's size & weight.

Guy at my work put the 1.9 TDI mech pump in a samurai, same thing can keep it cool. He bought all the bitchen stuff for the swap too.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Figure out how to stick a 6.7 Ford D in there, and that would work.

Turbos are great for keeping power with altitude. If you rely on turbo t make power, you need to cool it.

EB70

Contributor
I love the idea of 20-25 MPG in a Bronco. But it just seems that a bigger diesel would work a lot better.

A 617 could be decent though. The concern with those though is the newest ones would be 30 years old.

Personally, I like the Cummins 2.8 crate motor. One of those mated to a Jeep 5-speed and an Atlas would be great. But you're getting into the five figure range a ways to be drivable.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Personally, I like the Cummins 2.8 crate motor. One of those mated to a Jeep 5-speed and an Atlas would be great. But you're getting into the five figure range a ways to be drivable.

But if you look at the price of a crate 5.0 Coyote engine it is in the same ball park. Most any new crate engine will be about that as well. So while not cheap, it is very competitive with other crate engine options. Just not your budget.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Guy at my work put the 1.9 TDI mech pump in a samurai, same thing can keep it cool. He bought all the bitchen stuff for the swap too.
Is it stock or has he leaned on it? Did he use the OEM radiator & fan assembly? My old 1.6L Caddy had an interesting cooling system layout. I'd be very hesitant to not use that in what ever I moved the engine to.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Is it stock or has he leaned on it? Did he use the OEM radiator & fan assembly? My old 1.6L Caddy had an interesting cooling system layout. I'd be very hesitant to not use that in what ever I moved the engine to.

Completely stock engine but install an oil cooler after finding out how hot it ran. Radiator came with the kit. Biggest alloy that will fit with a spall fan. Do not know the size. Power is mediocre. I was not impressed at all.

68ford

Bronco Guru
May be, I thought it shook more than it should. Below 1500 rpm the entire truck shackles pretty bad But he says that is due to the conversion clutch/flywheel situation. Samurai has low gear stock so he is doing pretty high RPM and the oil temp is now his biggest concern.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
FWIW my 1.6L Caddy (VW Ribbit pick-up) shook like a dog passin peach seeds at idle. It was bad enough that the dash was almost a blur, but it smoothed out at about 800-1000 RPM.

68ford

Bronco Guru
FWIW my 1.6L Caddy (VW Ribbit pick-up) shook like a dog passin peach seeds at idle. It was bad enough that the dash was almost a blur, but it smoothed out at about 800-1000 RPM.

Maybe it's normal then. What I thought was weird is the shop foreman has a 1.9 turbo mechanical pump engine he put in a rabbit truck that had a NA 1.6? And his doesn't shack at all?

panteramatt

Ive always wondered about this swap. I own a golf TDI and its the only non ford vehicle Ive ever had. I dont even need it anymore as it just sits but I refuse to sell it. For those of you thinknig this motor is too small stop! Mine is so powerful I had to put a posi front end in mine. Ive more than doubled the power and I get 50MPG!

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
panteramatt - these 1.9L engines can be hopped up to produce some amazing power from a 4cyl platform. And that works amazing well when you're in the car it was designed for tapping into the power when you want it. But with the weight and the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of our EB's, you will be tapping into the power nearly constantly and the motor won't handle that work for long. And when you're asking it to make peak power all the time, your fuel mileage will likely suffer greatly.

Certainly, I'd gladly eat crow if someone performed the swap and put lots of miles on it without much of an issue. I'm probably just a tad bit more of a diesel fanatic than I am a Ford fan, ergo why I own a BMW and VW diesel in lieu of an Explorer or Fusion. So I think diesel conversions are super cool. But I think for the EB, that donating engine needs to be more robust than the 1.9L if you want to use it for more than slow speed crawling.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A friend just took an LS engine out of a truck that was getting 16-18 MPG.
Put that engine into a lightweight and aerodynamic old Z-car. Now gets 30 MPG

It isn't the engine, but the vehicle you put it in.

panteramatt

Not saying you guys aren't right but the bronco only weighs 600lbs more than my car. My motor makes around 200hp/350lbs tq. Ot would definitely move a street bronco and I bet still get over 20mpg

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
We won't ever know until someone does it. For me, I wouldn't spend money to put the 1.9 in anything larger than a Samurai. Or maybe a VW bus??

Jluck

I put a 1.9 VW TD in a sidekick, It was fairly turned up with custom turbo, IP, etc... It was adequate in that rig but I couldn't imagine having one in a EB. No go here...

I yanked it out ant put in a built 1.8T from a Audi TT and pushed it to about 300 HP. Now that was fun!