• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got an engine, few ?s

highrlr

Loc.
Bismarck, ND
Ok, I finnaly bought and engine for the EB project. Its an 5.0 HO out of an '88 mustang, i was a little disapointed though I thought '88s were mass air so I thought I could score the harness and computer also but it was speed density so I just got the complete engine with injectors(yellow ones if I remember correctly), upper and lower intake, and all of the sensors that are on the engine. This is not hard to convert a speed density engine to mass air right? what will I need to get, I am assuming the mass air computer, harness(probably get a new one made), mass air sensor, anythiing else? Oh and are all the sensors and such on the engine the same as an mass air?

The next question I had is I am going to rebuild this engine but will not be ready to put it in the bronco till next spring sometime, would you guys recomend not rebuilding it till im ready to drop it in or is there any negative side affects to rebuilding an engine and then leaving it sit for a few months? Also what is you guy's take on aluminum heads on a truck, yea or ney? I have been told to use CL77 bearings, double row timing chain, heard good things about erson cams, but what kinda pistons are good? How about rings? should I use the stock conecting rods?

Sorry about the long winded post but this is my first engine build up and its a fairly large investmint so I wanna get it right the first time, so any tips on building the engine, good parts, good places to deal with is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
www.fuelinjection.com for the first part. He is the resident guru on injection. I prefer not to let them set rebuilt but as long as you prelube it before starting it should be Ok. The rest depends on how much power you want and how hard you plan to run it. If its street use the stock rods with TRW pistons, quailty rings, bearings & timing chain are good. The aluminum heads depend again on how much power you want to make and how thick your wallet is. Your stock heads are pretty good for factory heads, and with a little work arent too bad. I like Comp Cams, but everyone has a different preference. Everyone elses opinion will vary, this is just mine. Let the blasting begin.