• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

green red wire help

andy

Loc.
Charleston
i think i have the alternator figured out. there is a green red wire that begins on passanger engine bay from a connector near voltregulator and runs under dash somewhere. i just found this green red wire hooked to nothing? any one know where its home is

andy

OP
OP
A

andy

Loc.
Charleston
where in the back of the ignition does it have its own spot or does it splice into another wire

Towman27

Loc.
Colorado Springs, Co
andy the green/red is the ing. sw. run position wire for controlling most of the operations in the run mode. It goes to the regulator through several terminations and connectors to control the relay in the regulator that keeps the battery from discharging through the alternator. It also is the output control for exciting the alternator to give an output. It has to be hooked to the four terminal connector on the regulator. I have 4" of snow and a little blizzard going right now or I would look at mine an give you the routing. Will try tomorrow if this let off.

Ruel

Towman27

Loc.
Colorado Springs, Co
andy, I checked the harness on my 73 and the Green/red wire comes out of the wiring harness about an 1.5 in. from the firewall grommet on the passengers side along with the yellow and orange leads which all three hook to the regulator. The grn/bl wire is the middle wire in the hook-up between the yellow and orange. This connector is made up of the 1/4 in. "quick connect" type terminals and the wires can pull out of them when one pulls the connector off the reg. The individual terminals can also be removed from the connector to fix or replace. There is a small tab in the terminal which keep it from backing out and can be depressed to remove the terminal.

Ruel

Towman27

Loc.
Colorado Springs, Co
Hey there, it doesn't directly tie to the ing. sw. it goes to a juction as wire #904 and ties at splice S-203. From that splice which is in the bundle 3 or4 inches from the switch again W-904 goes to the back of the ing. sw. at the "run" terminal and a Red/Green wire "Ys" off the same terminal as W-16. I was into that area on mine about 3 mo. ago but can't remember the exact terminal type that connection is on the sw.'s back. Could you access the schematic 66horse gave you the link to? Save the pages and blow them up X2 to be able to trace the nomenclature. I have the Haynes manual for the schematics which are good copy but one needs a magnifying glass they are very small. I blew them up on a copying machine but the result wasn't real good. Good luck.

Ruel