• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Green/red wire on 3G alternator

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I just installed a Northwest Auto Wire (T3) wiring harness and was about to try to fire it up when I realized the green/red wire off the 3G alternator isn't hooked up. I don't have a voltage regulator any longer, so I'm not sure where to run this wire to. Anyone have a clue? Also, my directions state to run the main wire, from the ignition to the battery. It has a useable link built in. Should it go directly to the battery or solenoid?

70_Steve

Old Guy
I just installed a Northwest Auto Wire (T3) wiring harness and was about to try to fire it up when I realized the green/red wire off the 3G alternator isn't hooked up. I don't have a voltage regulator any longer, so I'm not sure where to run this wire to. Anyone have a clue?
The 3G pretty much installs independent of the vehicle wiring harness. And as such, could be installed as a 1 wire or a 3 wire. If it's a 1 wire installation (the " 1 " wire being the alternator output) then you don't need the Green/Red wire. If it's a 3 wire installation, then the Green/Red wire has to go to the I (ignition) terminal. Here's BC Broncos wiring diagrams for both types of installations.
One Wire
Three wire

Also, my directions state to run the main wire, from the ignition to the battery. It has a useable link built in. Should it go directly to the battery or solenoid?
In the T3 harness, I'm not sure what the "main wire" is. If it's the one that supplies power to the entire Bronco, (same as wire 38, big black wire, in the stock harness) then it need to go on the BAT+ terminal of the solenoid. The Fusable Link is what protects the harness.

yellow69

Loc.
HAGERSTOWN, MD
I had trouble with this earlier this week installing mine with a Cintech Harness I called BC Broncos and got little help . I called cintech and they told me to tie that wire into the Res S wire and it worked fine.