• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gremlin in wiring

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
I have installed a 1966-1977 Ford Bronco Centech Wiring Kit from Jeff's. I have a 1969 Bronco. Mostly everything has gone well. I also installed a Dakota Digital dash. I have a gremlin that the tech guys at Dakota and Jeff's can't figure out. When I turn on the Hazard switch, the rears work but the fronts don't. When I turn on the turn signal, the rear works correctly but both fronts flash. Regardless of which way I put the turn signal, both indicators flash on the dash. If I have the hazards on then the turn signals work correctly. The headlights and running lights work correctly. I need help. Can't figure this out. I have checked grounds and checked connectors. I have made sure the wiring form the column is correct. Any wiring experts out there that can talk me through this?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
stock steering column?

Well gotta run but if so id check wires inside the column that stuffs been on there almost 50 years!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
id recheck connections in there, sounds to me like somebody is touching.

Green_Bastard

My guess is the column as well. You should be able to use a multimeter to check the wiring there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYLES

Bronco Guru
if both turn lights are flashing in the dash they are both getting power.....they playing kissing cousins!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
outa here its Friday good luck n happy bronco'n!

broncobird

Mine were doing about the same thing ,but I cant remember what I did to fix it .I may be wrong but I'm thinking it was a bad or wrong bulb on the front or the ground.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you check with Centech as well? They're usually pretty good at diagnosing stuff as well.
Not perfect mind you, and some things can baffle even them. But we've found them to be pretty good about it all.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and remember the modern parts mantra... "New does not always mean good."
Remember and repeat that...

I'm speaking of your new turn signal switch. Many (way too many!) parts are bad right out of the box these days.
Of course, there is always the chance of some insulation getting scraped off of the wires during the install, but it's just as possible to get a defective switch.

Paul

OP
OP
Acknud

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
Did you check with Centech as well? They're usually pretty good at diagnosing stuff as well.
Not perfect mind you, and some things can baffle even them. But we've found them to be pretty good about it all.

Good luck.

Paul

I tried to contact them but they don't answer the phone. I also Sent a message on their form but they didn't reply. The tech guy at Dakota was an ***hole and didn't want to be bothered with my trivial problem. The biggest help was from a tech guy from Tom's.

OP
OP
Acknud

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
Oh, and remember the modern parts mantra... "New does not always mean good."
Remember and repeat that...

I'm speaking of your new turn signal switch. Many (way too many!) parts are bad right out of the box these days.
Of course, there is always the chance of some insulation getting scraped off of the wires during the install, but it's just as possible to get a defective switch.

Paul

God... I don't want to tear apart that column and definitely don't want to replace that switch!!!!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the wiring at the front turn signal bulbs these are dual element bulbs that are tied into the tail lights crisscross one those wires and you can get a back feed situation. Start out with the bulbs out and make sure you tail lights work properly in stop, turn and emergency flash. then put in one of the front turn light and check all functions. then remove bulb and put it in the front turn light and test its function. if it works right then put both lights in the front. You can do the same with the rear lights at some point the fault will show up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried to contact them but they don't answer the phone. I also Sent a message on their form but they didn't reply. The tech guy at Dakota was an ***hole and didn't want to be bothered with my trivial problem. The biggest help was from a tech guy from Tom's.

Well hell. Two zeros out of three ain't so good!
I hear you on the turn signal switch. Hate that job!
The good news though is that since you have all those wires poking out of the bottom of the steering column, it's easy to check it to make sure it's all functioning as expected.
Theoretically...

When you turn on the hazard flashers and hit the brake, does the flashing stop?

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Acknud

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
Centech

I finally got in touch with Centech and I am glad I did. Jim is a genius and a nice guy. He was very patient and walked me through troubleshooting step by step. He figured it out. My problem was a faulty hazard switch. I unplugged that and now everything works as it should! What a relief!;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great news Acknud! Glad that worked out. And glad too, that you gave them another shot.
Must have been out on a few days off, or at an event promoting the product or something. They've been doing it a long time and glad to hear Jim still knows his stuff.

Nice to have purged the gremlins (for now) isn't it?

Have fun.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you got lucky!!!

Is that a good thing NYLES? Or is it a hint of some not-so-great luck in the past with them?

Hopefully the former, but the latter does sometimes happen. Sorry if that was your experience.

Paul