• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GRUMBLE! Damn I need another electrical thingy!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Ok,

Wiring as a perfectionist sucks!

Does anyone know a "local" type shop that carries "Flag" terminals? The ignition switch has Flag Terminals and not the straight ones!

GRUMBLE!!!!

I know Del City doesn't have the right ones, so they wont get any more of my money for a while!

MnkyBiz

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I am stopping by Radio Shack & a hardware store during lunch.

Nyles, I haven't had a chance to fit the switch yet. It looks good, but the only problem I have is that I can't get my hands between the power brake booster bracket & the column to install it! I think I will need to remove the PB bracket first, then install it. I'll try to attack that this Sunday!

As to what type of flag I need, here is a laman's drawing!

Most places sell the connector with a much shorte shaft and without the dual open barrel, only a cheap quick "crimp" connector.

MnkyBiz

Attachments

• psidelift.jpg
    psidelift.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I found them on a UK website! but nothing closer to home! At least I have a photo now!

Attachments

• f6a.jpg
    f6a.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I tried getting the straight one to fit last night.

If I use a straight one, I will forfeit the old "base" connecter that attaches to the back of the Ignition Switch. I want to keep that, as it has the wires exiting the top, and isn't an easy item for people to get into! No easy starting my rig!

I think I have found a source. I will be heading there later today!

If my source is good, I will post their numbers and address so if anyone else wishes to stay stock, they can use them as a part source!

MnkyBiz

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have been in a similer place. Wrong parts and no goo way to get what I needed right now. My quick fix is to modify a straight terminal into a flag. Flatten out the part that wraps around the wire.
Cut about half of it off.
Use some good needle nose and reshape the terminal to what you need.
Solder well.

Be forwarned that you may need to make a few of these before you get one that will work. I have some that will not tolorate being reshapes and some other that could care less. Not sure where I got them, they are all mixed together in a drawer right now.

Not ideal, but gets you out of a pinch until you place your next order...

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Synds,

Those wont work. The distance from the end to the actual crimp is too small, and they wont "lock" in the plug.

Thanks though!

I'll making my own first.

MnkyBiz

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Have you tried a BOAT US or WEST Marine? I looked on there site but it sucks stop by one if you have one around they have lotsa connector stuff.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Yesterday I went to every boating store, every electrical connection place, every hardware store, and finally even to the Walmarts & Kmarts.

No one knows where to get these guys. The only place I found on line was that Anglia restoration place in England.

Well, I bit the bullett & spliced the wires. I didn't want to go this route, but oh well!

MnkyBiz

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey MnkyBiz I have some and just used them on a guys '70. Worked fine from what I remember. I have both bare and insulated versions and I think I even peeled the plastic cover off of one of the insulated versions once to work.
I'm sure they were available at local suppliers but I'll try to get a name and number for you if any are still in their packages.
Again, I'm pretty sure each were available locally or I probably wouldn't have had them. Hopefully what you're doing is going to work, but I'll still try to get the info for you. Just in case.
Btw, if I have some left, do you just want me to throw them in an envelope and shoot 'em off to you? You'll lose a few days, but might be worth it.
Let me know. I'll check e-mails later. Right now I'm off to start another Bronco wiring project at the owners house but I'll search my parts supply when I get there.

Paul

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Monkey we use those on A/C compressors, try a refrigeration parts dealer, ARS (American Refrigeration Suppliers) is some what national.

If you cant find any I can possibly send you some,let me know

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I am still striking out on my search.

Dirt Donk or Boltbuster, if you can find them, please direct me! Right now I have a splice, but would much rather a new connection!

Thanks guys!

MnkyBiz

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Unless my wire-knowledge has gond down the tubes, I think I remember that the RF kit has mostly 18 and 16 running in it. AS this is for the ignition switch, I would guess that it then would be the heavier 16 running it? That make sense?

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Ok just got back from the A/C parts store they have the something. The only difference is that the way the wire connects to it, which I think is way better than the two prongs that fold. This one has a fold for the bite on the insulation and a cylinder shape you slide the bare wire in and crimp it. Its not insulated though. Any problem with this?

Ill send both sizes if its the right one.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
BoltBuster,

The non-insulated ones are the way to go!

I need a total of three, but if I could get two of each size that would be great!

Lemme know how much I owe you!!!

MnkyBiz

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just picked up some today from PICO. And although I have used them before, they don't have the little tangs for holding them in the socket so it sounds like BoltBuster has got it going.
Good luck.

Paul