• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

H4 Headlights

brbuilder

The parts guy told me he thought it was just one headlamp. I guess for the price they don’t believe it could possibly be more than just one headlamp.
Picked up mine today.

I already have an upgraded lighting harness (I think from WH) with relays and fuses. Wondering if I can just install the new H4 lamps using the existing upgraded lighting harness?

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I got mine ordered. The parts guy said if it wasn't what I was looking for I could just return them.

Bronco4x4

I ordered some too. Thanks for the heads-up. It showed a shipping fee at first but was shown as a credit later so >> Free shipping

pbwcr

Just a note. H4s come in various wattages, Of course high wattage might need an upgrade harness. However now days one can buy direct plugin LED bulbs that surely do not need more power than the stock or upgraded halogens. Wow, what a difference!
And its nice that the Hella headlights have some competition at better prices.

Thumper63

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos Ca
This was from the vintage mustang forum and figured some people here might be interested in them. Toyota has their H4 7" glass headlights on clearance and it comes with a wiring harness and relays. I bought my set for under $15 from my local toyota dealer for my 66 mustang. Average price has been around $15-25. Don't order from the first link below but use the part number (8111060P70) or use the second link.

https://parts.toyotasouth.com/oem-parts/toyota-headlamp-assembly-8111060p70

https://autoparts.toyota.com/products/product/headlamp-assy-8111060p70

Here is a link to the post from the mustang forum with pictures.
https://www.vintage-mustang.com/posts/10986635/
RM70, Thanks for the link, do you know if these are plug & play with a painless Harness?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Presumably, you mean a Painless vehicle wiring harness? Not just a headlight harness?
It sounds like a few have already installed them, so apparently the lamps themselves attach to a bronco headlight bucket without trouble.
And the H4 bulb contact points are precisely the same as standard incandescent bulb types.
So the existing three prong connectors themselves will snap onto the headlights.

However, the new headlights come with their own relay harness, so it depends on what Painless harness you’re talking about.
If I’m not mistaken (but I’d have to check) the Painless vehicle harness converts the headlights to relay style already. If that’s the case, you wouldn’t even install the new harness. Just keep it on the shelf for another project.
Just plug your headlights into your existing wiring.

Maybe someone reading this thread can confirm or deny that the Painless vehicle harness converts the headlights to relay.
They did go to a lot of trouble to make the harness as close to original as possible, so maybe they kept the old wiring scheme as well.
If that’s the case, then you would indeed use your new harness and plug it into the existing headlight wiring. Just like normal.

Thumper63

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos Ca
Presumably, you mean a Painless vehicle wiring harness? Not just a headlight harness?
It sounds like a few have already installed them, so apparently the lamps themselves attach to a bronco headlight bucket without trouble.
And the H4 bulb contact points are precisely the same as standard incandescent bulb types.
So the existing three prong connectors themselves will snap onto the headlights.

However, the new headlights come with their own relay harness, so it depends on what Painless harness you’re talking about.
If I’m not mistaken (but I’d have to check) the Painless vehicle harness converts the headlights to relay style already. If that’s the case, you wouldn’t even install the new harness. Just keep it on the shelf for another project.
Just plug your headlights into your existing wiring.

Maybe someone reading this thread can confirm or deny that the Painless vehicle harness converts the headlights to relay.
They did go to a lot of trouble to make the harness as close to original as possible, so maybe they kept the old wiring scheme as well.
If that’s the case, then you would indeed use your new harness and plug it into the existing headlight wiring. Just like normal.
Paul, yes it’s a painless 28 circuit Bronco Harness. Hopeless someone will chime in with this information.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, it would be nice to confirm whether you need the free harness included with the lights or not.
But the bottom line is, that with or without the new headlight harness, it would be plug-in play either way.
You just don’t wanna use extra relays if you don’t need them.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Just installed a set in a buddies bronco yesterday over some old halogens he had. Fantastic set of lights, nice cutoff too. Really like these especially considering the price.

Does anyone know the actual application in case I would want to order some down the road when these go bad?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Just installed a set in a buddies bronco yesterday over some old halogens he had. Fantastic set of lights, nice cutoff too. Really like these especially considering the price.

Does anyone know the actual application in case I would want to order some down the road when these go bad?
Toyota FJ40 or a Hilux with 7” round headlights.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is anyone in southern ca getting this, I have looked and all sets were 60 bucks ea. Really like my hella H4 s but would be cool,to have a back up

Juiceman

Contributor
I bought a set and the Parts guy asked to open the box to look at them because he couldn't believe it was a pair of those lights for the price!

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Is anyone in southern ca getting this, I have looked and all sets were 60 bucks ea. Really like my hella H4 s but would be cool,to have a back up

Yes, I got a set from the Toyota dealer in Carson for $15.53.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk