• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard starting after heat soak.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
At no point did even suggest using a 4180 in an EB. I would point out that those who own a mid '80s Bronco with a 5.8 HO that was originally equipped with a 4180 and need to comply with emission laws can make small mods that will bring their 351 up to acceptable performance levels. The 4180 is 600cfm and a torque oriented 351 works better with a 450-550cfm carb. I've just re-cored my radiator with the high density type,and am trying to install baffles or air dams to keep heated air from reentering the radiator. I also like the idea of using a 7 or 8" fan to move cool air into the engine compartment after the engine is shut off. A thermostatic switch sounds perfect. Where do you mount it? We all know the temp gauge pegs it self after engine shut down and that's the most likely time for the engine to boil over. The small fans not mounted on oil coolers are a lot less $ . I wonder if pushing cool air in or pulling hot air out would be best.

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
The fan is on top of the drivers fender well. I have the cooler spaced above the fender well about an inch so air can move across the cooler. I thought about cutting out the fender well and installing expanded metal or a screen on the fender well so the air could be either blown out onto the front tire or pulled in from the outside but figured it would just get clogged up with mud. It does work really well just the way it is because I can feel the air moving out from the cowl hood when the fans running.

The thermostatic switch for any electric fan would work and it would allow the fan to run until the coolant temp came down. Any air movement across the filter (I have a K&N so it's open element) would move the hot vapors from the carb.