• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harness installed - Everything works but gauges?

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Stumped on this one. Have the harness installed and everything works perfectly. Lights, dash lights, dimmer switch etc.. Volt Gauge works, but new tach, oil, temp, Fuel are stone dead.

I can see a dead ivr causing issues with the oil/temp/fuel but the tach is dead also. While I do have lights on the tach. Which tells me I have a ground. It's the Classic Bronco tach from Wild horses. Tach is a DUI distributor with the one wire tach connection.

Last night I ran a ground from a good spot on the chassis and tried connecting it to the back of the cluster to see if it wasn't having an issue with the powder coat to no avail. I did use the grounding studs in the dash that BC provided and cleaned them of powdercoat so it should be getting a good ground..

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Sounds like you're on to it with the ground. I was fooled in the same way immediately following my rewire when I went to test everything (before putting the dash back in) and none of my gauges worked (aka cluster not grounded since it wasn't mounted).

Are your gauges moving at all? Without the ground they should sweep and peg out.

OP
OP
Yellow75

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
The don't move a bit unfortunately. I wouldn't expect the tach light to work without a ground though. The tach just has a power wire going to the light. Ground is acquired through the grounding post on the tach. I think I need to put the tach into another bucket all together as that's it's own deal.

I'll run ground to a grounding stud on one of the gauges. Before I was running it to the back of the cluster when testing.

Sure wish I would have tested prior to mounting it all up! Guess I can pull the air vent to see what's going on

707Bronk

Check to make sure the connections on the IVR aren't loose. Not sure what to say about the tach...

A loose connection can/will make a pulsing regulator non functional.

dezertchase

Loc.
phoenix
also possibly check the dash is grounded powdercoat in the threads possibly even though the post is clean

OP
OP
Yellow75

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Well found I was blowing fuses. Pulled the cluster out the back and started disconnecting things. Still blowing fuse. Pulled power from tach and no more blowing fuses. Wtf. However.. The cluster still isn't working. Granted I'm damn near out of fuel but I do seem to see the oil pressure slowly creep up. Doesn't fluctuate with rpms though. Grounded it to a very good ground too.. I got pissed and mowed the lawn.. Tomorrow I'll attack it again

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the IVR didn't have a good ground the gauges would read max. Check power to the IVR.

OP
OP
Yellow75

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Potential breakthrough? Pulled the fuse back off..The e-choke wire is part of the same cluster of wires on that fuse. It was laying on the floor most likely shorting out. Tested the IVR after fixing that with a test light and it blinks like a blinker. Which tells me it's OK.. Still no response from the gauges.. Oil pressure rises to ~10 lbs but doesn't fluctuate. New oil And temp senders. Gas is potentially really low but may have to make a gas can run to test that. Can I test the gauges? It has had an aftermarket 3 gauge cluster since we bought it which I removed. Betting I have the incorrect temp sender from O'Reilly. Which leaves me oil and fuel for testing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

gerg

You can ground the sending wire and the gauge should peg full if working right. I just went through almost the same thing last weekend except just my temp and pressure gauge. I was finishing a new Centech install & DUI at the same time on my restore and thought it was just electrical problems. Turns out that the temp gauge was dead and the pressure gauge worked but I did'nt have oil pressure...doh!