• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

has anyone built an expedition style bronco?

cnielsen413

Loc.
petaluma, CA
has anyone around here built or have an expedition bronco. I want to build my 67 to go from here to argentina, all self contained. Roof tent, onboard air and tools, refridge/freezer. spare parts etc.

Juntura

I have not, but I have thought about it.

I generally build my vehicles more for expedition style driving than true offroading- most of my cars become hunting rigs at some point and I like the reliability of an expo style build when I am beating around in the desert. This means reliability, parts availability, comfort, and fuel range. I have a stock '66 that I am thinking of leaving at the hunting cabin for chasing chukars. The debate for me goes like this- keep it stock and at the house for ice cream runs, or build it expo style for a hunting rig. Southern Idaho & eastern Oregon is big, desolate country and reliability is the biggest deal for me.

I am thinking stock-ish motor w/ a basic carb, manual tranny, 2.5" lift, dual tanks, dual batteries, skinny tires, 2 spares, good cage and protection that does not add undo weight or complexity to repairs, and no bling. Some creature comforts like sound insulation, good heater, a/c, and all new seals for dust would also be nice. I think a secure hitch mounted winch would be nice so I can pull myself out backwards.

One of the things I am debating now is to cut or leave uncut- cut fenders would make chains for snow and mud easier to put on.

Not much help for you, but I have thought about it.

Juntura

As far as a roof tent. I like them a lot- the inlaws have one mounted to a trailer now. I do not know if the stock roof will support the weight, but you could do a minimalist external cage like Hansen did a couple of years ago (series Rovers used for expo's tend to have these). or you could brace the roof rack to an internal cage; we did this on a Dodge pickup with a roof rack a couple of years ago and it worked well.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
has anyone around here built or have an expedition bronco. I want to build my 67 to go from here to argentina, all self contained. Roof tent, onboard air and tools, refridge/freezer. spare parts etc.
VERY interesting idea as Mark said. Also, I am with the trailer crew-to be really "self contained", I think the actual size of the eb (read SMALL/little storage) almost mandates a pull behind trailer of some sort.......... The link below has another link in it to trailer build which I like better than the original thread. Anyway, some excellent ideas for your accessory trailer/gear hauler/ spare parts transport-not that our ebs ever need spare parts. :)
Keep us posted,

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797291

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have long thought about a roof tent for my EB. My rig is primarily a summer driver so I'd build the platform for the roof tent off the cage, it's plenty strong. Not sure what I'd do if you're building off the hard top.

Petaluma to Argentina though? Wow what an adventure. I'm not yet confident enough in my rig to venture even 1/4 that far! I do fantasize about driving it up to Alaska at some point though.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

I'd suggest subscribing to www.expeditionportal.com and reading folks' experiences there. I don't know of any overlanding EBs on the forum but there is a wealth of knowledge there regarding the equipment you might want to use.

Todd Z.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
This is a great Pirate thread...Expedition Rigs

Pay particular attention to post 593, its a nicely extended EB. I know I have followed the build thread somewhere. Maybe on here so you may have seen it.
Dennis

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Would you guys consider a bug out vehicle to be the same vein as an expedition vehicle? After I saw the documentary Red Dawn for the 400th time last weekend I thought hmmm if the Cubans are going to invade might as well use it as an excuse to build a cool truck... ;D

Anyhow I do know lots of folks take the Bug Out vehicle thing pretty seriously so that might be another resource for the OP is to look around those forums.

OP another thing to think about is safety. My wife is from a well to do family in Nicaragua and her brothers do adventure sports down there and even though they are from the vicinity they have had some harrowing experiences when out in the boondocks.

I imagine a US Citizen (assuming here) with a very expensive piece of kit would have target written all of him as he bounced around the more rural areas.

What they don't show on those expedition shows is the army of security and consultants that they have in tow as well as local gov't assistance.

So just be careful and plan well there are a lot of folks down there who are pretty desperate as well as some very nasty criminals.

I investigate financial and computers crimes and do consulting for various agencies and I am aware of some very nasty business especially in Mexico. Heck the nightly news and internet is full of news stories as well. There was a recent thing about the Mexican authorities finding a Suburban chock full of body parts and torsos with a warning to those who would dime out the cartels.

You couldn't pay me to go through Mexico in a multi thousand dollar rig without immense security measures.

Please consider your route, options and other issues very carefully.

happster

i think this is a pretty neat setup... sort of fits into expedition!

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

csangster

As recommended by an earlier post...definitely visit www.expeditionportal.com
they have TONS of information on that site that will help you with understanding what would be needed to make the EB an expedition vehicle.

If you pay close enough attention to the Unimogs, Unicats, Land Rovers etc. you will notice that 99% of them are equipped with diesel engines. That isn't merely a coincidence. They are more reliable, run longer, and it is easier to get fuel for in a 3rd world country.

Slipping a 4bt cummins in your eb might be a good idea at that point, they are less complicated than a SBF and have less things that can go wrong.

Manual transmission is a good idea as well, easier to fix in a pinch.

Getting yourself a top notch pull behind trailer is probably your best bet for expedition style as well, because the EB just doesn't have the same kind of floor plan and space that a cab forward vehicle does (Unimog, Unicat etc.)

It can definitely be done......Land Rovers and Landcruisers are found the world over and an EB is every bit the platform that those vehicles are.

Don't forget, this information is worth what you paid for it.

Have fun with your build and let us know which way you decide to go.

Chris

csangster

Is it still possible to get a hold of pop ups like that?

-Ed

Not brand new, but I have seen them for sale from time to time.

FWIW, Can-back is making a new can-back top for early broncos, I'd be interested to find out if they thought about getting more creative with a pop-top converison on their can-back.

Chris

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Like Karl said, As cool as EBs are, they are really short on room!

I like the expedition route and started down that road with my '83.
Joe
DSC008.JPG

DSC009.JPG

DSC003.JPG

DSC00060.JPG

coreyvan77

Happster, nice set up there.... I'd definately say it qualifies for a Expedition rig. Sweet looking buggy ya got there.

NorCalBronco

Contributor
Great thread! I hang out over on the expeditionportal.com forum all the time as well. Great information there, with lots of cool rigs and ideas! I would love to set my EB up by stretching the bed area so I could build a sleep platform in the back like I did for my ranger, add 3 of the biggest fuel tanks, a 4bt, 5 speed, 33inch bfg at's, solar panels, fridge and leave for a couple of months ;D If any of you people that actually have a lot of those little green pieces of paper and decide to do something similar, I could live vicariously through you! ;D