• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone ever powder coated a bulk head?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
There have been threads here over the years about powder coating dashboards, but I've never seen anything about powder coating a bulk head.

Anyone ever done one with decent results?

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm not aware of any bulk head on an Early Bronco other than the ones behind the seats on half cabs and delivery models. Nearly 23 years in the Bronco hobby, this is the first time anyone has ever asked for clarification on an EB bulk head ?:?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I knew what you meant, most folks are used to seeing the words "Half Cab" in front of bulkhead. I don't see why you couldn't powder coat one it will add a small amount to the size so you might need to take that into consideration for fitment.

CrawdadBronco

Contributor
What would be the benefit? In my experience I've never been 100% happy with the finish on anything I have had powder coated and you really can't easily redo it. With paint you can easily repair and re-coat parts many times over.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree, but if the coater is really good it can turn out well. After all, some body parts on modern cars and trucks are in fact powder coated. Some electrostatically wet painted too of course, but some with powder. Not sure what the decision process is for what part gets what, but I was kind of surprised when I heard about that the first time.

I might worry about the panel warping under the 400 degree heat for 20 to 30 minutes, but even that does not negatively effect every flat panel. I would think it's structurally capable of handling the heat. But i don't know that for a fact.

I could understand wanting that panel to be more scratch resistant though, which powder does seem to have the advantage with.
Not really sure which way I'm leaning then, but when in doubt I have no problem with regular old automotive paint.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
None of my cookie sheets are still flat. They are smaller and have only been baked to 350°. I suspect that even with a little warp it could still be worked into the bolt holes.

But it won't match for color or gloss to the paint. Might get close, but will always look like a repair job.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
So my tike on this is powder coat is no more durable than good automotive paint, and it can not be repaired as automotive paint can so I dont know why you would want to powder coat that

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When it's done right, I still feel that powder is more resistant to scratches and chips that you would have to fix. Auto grade paint is extremely tough, but when you've got junk banging around, I think powder is tougher.
I'd still paint probably, but powder is tough when done right.

All of my baking sheets are wobbly/warped too. But I'm pretty sure they did not become that way after just the first round of oven use. Took years and repeated use of the old ones (some older than I am!) but they all eventually got that way.
And other than the edges they don't have the reinforcing ridges at various points in the panel that a Bronco bulkhead has.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steel-Half-Cab-Bulkhead/Bronco_More_Steel_Body_Parts
Not sure if that would be enough, but it would certainly help it resist warpage.

Paul