• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Have Camper Will travel

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Pulled this little popup to Ga. yesterday with the Bronco. camper weigh's in at about 1500 pounds. No issues, no sway, over about 35 MPH almost forgot it was back there. Could feel the weight at lower speeds but not bad at all.

Attachments

• IMG00070-20110619-1511.jpg
    IMG00070-20110619-1511.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG00072-20110619-1602.jpg
    IMG00072-20110619-1602.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 202

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
That looks like a lot of fun. Just be real careful because they tow nice until you need to stop quickly or suddenly avoid something in your path, then all bets are off when the camper is longer than the tow vehicle.

Be safe!!

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That thing is the perfect size for an EB. You don't see many of those with A/C.;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Yea it is a good size, A/C is ice cold, and it Pulls great.
kayakersteve
i have towed much larger trailers with a Toyota pick up and had an issue with that so I am well away of the braking issues with trailers longer than the tow vehicle. I did have to get on the brakes once and with the 4 wheel disc the combo stopped straight and true!

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Sweet pics. I sure hope to do some camping when my EB is finished. Were you just out for a weekend camp or was some wheeling involved?

Henry

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
They make those!!!

attachment.php

biggercb

That looks like a lot of fun. Just be real careful because they tow nice until you need to stop quickly or suddenly avoid something in your path, then all bets are off when the camper is longer than the tow vehicle.

Be safe!!

Isn't a semi trailer longer than a semi truck? Aren't most 5th wheels are longer than a pickup wheelbase? I don't understand...

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Bigger - If you dont understand, you'll just have to take people's words for it - Pulling a trailer with an EB can be very hairy, even with disc x 4.

Just the way it is.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
The difference is where the axle is located. Tractor-trailers and 5th wheels don't have a lot of overhang after the axle. A majority of the weight is between the front axle of the trailer and the king pin. Sway on that setup is nearly impossible. regular trailers only have 20% (I think) of the weight on the ball, so the axle is almost centered. That makes it tend to sway a bit. That and having your hand on top of the steering wheel...

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
So your living in a trailer now?

4 days a week. Yea I know "Trailer Trash" but hey Lookie at the Bronco parked next to it.
And for the tounge weight, this one is about 10%, right at 150 lbs. And in the 165 miles I did not notice any sway at all.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I towed a pop-up for a long time and mine had inertia electric brakes so I had no issues towing it. I did have disc brakes though I doubt I would do it with the stock Bronco drums. The trailer is very hard to load and you cant be casual about it. You want to load as much tongue weight as you can especially if your traveling with full fridge and water tanks. Just keep the heavy stuff up front of the axle and all is good. If there is any sway at all then stop and repack. I loved camping with my pop-up more so than all other forms of camping. I started with a tent then to pop-up then to motorhome whis was the worst mistake I ever made. and now I camp out of a military trailer. Still miss the old starcraft 20.
Oh the memories.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pulled this little popup to Ga. yesterday with the Bronco. camper weigh's in at about 1500 pounds. No issues, no sway, over about 35 MPH almost forgot it was back there. Could feel the weight at lower speeds but not bad at all.

Tell us more about the make and model? Looks like fun to me! ;D

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Tell us more about the make and model? Looks like fun to me! ;D

When I get off work I will list full specs on the camper. Pretty much a base model, no fridge, only a 3 burner cooktop, sink, no onboard water storage, just 2 5gal. water jugs(they are at home), a 2 burner outside cooktop, and of course the air/heat that is roof mounted.

I decided it was alot cheaper to stay in a campground than a hotel, $14-$18 a night compared to $45 a night for the hotel. GF bought it for me and away we go. Went with a popup for the simple reason that any other pull behind would be just to big to pull with the Bronco, unless I went with a teatdrop, and being 6'5" I need some room.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Ok here are the full specs.
1993 Coleman Chesapeake
Base vehicle weight- 1445 lbs
Base hitch weight- 125 lbs
Trailer size closed= 6'8"x14'10"
Full trailer length- 22'8"
Sleeps 7
Living area- 129 sq.ft.
Portable water tank- 2x5gal.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great post Rev , I have been wondering how a Bronco would pull exactly that type of camper. I would love to be able to take a little camping trip using the Bronco.

I figured I'd have to tent it and use a small utility trailer for extra space.
I think I'd be sure that the trailer had some type of brakes , if possible , just to be on the safer side.