• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Head Identification Question

munster

Loc.
Butler
Looking for some help id'ing the heads in my Bronco... I'm somewhat familiar with the typical casting numbering, but mine doesn't fit that??? There is 1K12 and 302 under the valve covers. I don't see any other numbers in the casting... The Bronco itself is a 72, that was a factory 302. Somewhere along the ride it was replaced with a reman 65 289. I'd have expected to see a C5 or D2 number? I've googled the 1K12 and not came up with anything helpful, so any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMGP1526.JPG
    IMGP1526.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMGP1527.JPG
    IMGP1527.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMGP1525.JPG
    IMGP1525.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 22

beaux312

Loc.
Hartford, AL
the casting num your looking for is on the block side of the heads. The bottom of the part that is is the lifter valley. You will have to take the head off to see it.

OP
OP
munster

munster

Loc.
Butler
Thanks, so would that be a date code? I have a Marti report and it was built in October of 71 and sold new in November of 71. So if it is a date code, they just might be off of something else if I follow the date coding correctly being made November 12 of 71?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ford doesn't generally date code there castings. But they do date code design changes. Decade starting in the 40's alphebeticly. 40's A, 50's B, 60's C, 70's D, 80's E... Then followed by the last digit of the year. E7 = 87 or 1987. This is where you will people talking about E7 heads.

But it gets more interesting then that. That is simply the design change. If the part does not change for the next year or several years the nubmer stays the same. E7 heads stayed the same through the mid 90's. The F4 block (351 Roller cam) stayed the same number until the end of production in '97.

So the date codes simply state that the part is no older then the date, but could be newer. I generally give a year error just to be safe. I have seen a few original parts dated a year newer then the model it is attached to. Running change, a part is updated with a '95 engineering date and applied to a '94 model year vehicle (generally toward the end of the model year build).

If I recall, the "T" cast into the heads signifies it is a truck engine. "302" shows it is '68 and newer. The rail type cast rocker arms show it is no newer then '77. I have no reason to believe it is anything other then a standard truck motor. Some bolt on intake upgrades. Who knows what may have happened inside the engine?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks, so would that be a date code? I have a Marti report and it was built in October of 71 and sold new in November of 71. So if it is a date code, they just might be off of something else if I follow the date coding correctly being made November 12 of 71?

It is a date code. 12th day of 10th month of year ending in 1. 10th month instead of 11th month because "I" wasn't used. Could be Oct 12, '71.