• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headder Wrap

G

I just got my lattest copy of the Summitt catalog. There is a product in it that I have wondered about for some time now. It's header and exhaust wrap. Supposed to help keep down under hood temps. and add more power.Since many of us run headers, and have issues with under hood temp I would like to know if anyone has tried this product? And if you have, what is it like when it gets wet?<br><br>Thanks Garrett

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Thermo-Tec has a Hi Heat Coating that is in a spray can that you coat the header wrap with and is rated up to 1500 degrees. It's $6 a can from Jegs.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Header wrap is bad news if you want your headers to last for any length of time. They rot inside the wrap. I think it would be much more economical in the long run to shell out the $$$ and get the ceramic coated headers. Lowers underhood temp substantially and look cool too. :eek:

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
I wrapped the headers on my bronc last year to try and fix a vapor lock problem, and it did help a little. Unless you pull the headers off its a real pain in the a$$ to get the wrap to go on correctly. As far as getting more power I didn't really notice any gains. I probably wouldn't recommend doing it unless you live in a dry climate since it will cause your headers to rust out a lot faster.

vbro

[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=9016;start=0#64392 date=1031840607]<br>Thermo-Tec has a Hi Heat Coating that is in a spray can that you coat the header wrap with and is rated up to 1500 degrees. It's $6 a can from Jegs.<br>[/quote]<br>Can you use the stuff directly on your heads? on the bronco that is... :)

vbro

[quote author=vbro link=board=5;threadid=9016;start=0#64416 date=1031846035]<br>[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=9016;start=0#64392 date=1031840607]<br>Thermo-Tec has a Hi Heat Coating that is in a spray can that you coat the header wrap with and is rated up to 1500 degrees. It's $6 a can from Jegs.<br>[/quote]<br>Can you use the stuff directly on your heads? on the bronco that is... :)<br>[/quote]<br>OOOPS ;D I meant headers...too early in the morning for me ;)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I dont have headers but I wrapped my down pipes and it significantly reduced floor board heat. It didnt eliminate it but it makes it a little more bearable. I live in Socal and have a 2" aluminized exhaust system.

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=vbro link=board=5;threadid=9016;start=0#64418 date=1031846290]<br>[quote author=vbro link=board=5;threadid=9016;start=0#64416 date=1031846035]<br>[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=9016;start=0#64392 date=1031840607]<br>Thermo-Tec has a Hi Heat Coating that is in a spray can that you coat the header wrap with and is rated up to 1500 degrees. It's $6 a can from Jegs.<br>[/quote]<br>Can you use the stuff directly on your heads? on the bronco that is... :)<br>[/quote]<br>OOOPS ;D I meant headers...too early in the morning for me ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>It didn't say anything about that on the description, for that POR-15 has a product though.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Get Jet Hot to coat them for you. It is kinda like ceramic coatings, but it wont chip off like ceramic. But it will keep your underhood temp down, and it looks like you have stainless or chrome headers because they never blue from the heat or corrode. www.jet-hot.com<br>-Eric

brentfd

Loc.
C/S, CO
I used header wrap to try to reduce underhood temps and couldn't tell any difference. I don't like how it looks, how much it costs, and everybody says it will shorten the life of the headers. SO, I'd coat them if I had it to do over again.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
I got a quote from Jet-hot and it about $150 to have my headers done. I just need to box them up and ship them out. They said it's about a 2 week turn around. From your door and back to your door (give or take a day).