• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers on stock EB

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
braxton357 said:
Not just that, but they're one of the biggest PITA's you'll encounter on a eb...not to mention making replacement of parts more fun in the future.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. I can't even count how many stupid little doughnut gaskets I replaced over the 7-8 years I had the stock manifolds, and they were every bit the PITA to replace that the headers were to get in. The damn things leaked all the time, the studs would get all rusted and break off, and I even had one side crack in half on me.
The headers were a pain to get in, but I haven't had to touch them in the last 3-4 years except when I put the new motor and trans in. Just having the dome collectors and no gaskets between them and the exaust pipes was well worth the few hours it took to get the headers in. I did not notice any power increase though.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Sac '68 sport said:
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. I can't even count how many stupid little doughnut gaskets I replaced over the 7-8 years I had the stock manifolds, and they were every bit the PITA to replace that the headers were to get in. The damn things leaked all the time, the studs would get all rusted and break off, and I even had one side crack in half on me.
The headers were a pain to get in, but I haven't had to touch them in the last 3-4 years except when I put the new motor and trans in. Just having the dome collectors and no gaskets between them and the exaust pipes was well worth the few hours it took to get the headers in. I did not notice any power increase though.
If you get the correct dougnuts and the Correct lock washers, You will never have to replace them on your Manifolds.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
dpmerrill said:
Does anyone have a link to these headers? I looked around on the site and couldn't find anything but an O2 bung. It was a lot cheaper than $470, but I don't think it'll give much of a performance increase...
Go to www.bcbroncos.com/store on the left side you will see engine/cooling comp. go there then to exhaust.
I tryed to set the store up so that everything would be easy to find with the index on the left side and sub catagorys if there was a lot of stuff. It seems logical to me but not so for many.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
chuck said:
Go to www.bcbroncos.com/store on the left side you will see engine/cooling comp. go there then to exhaust.
I tryed to set the store up so that everything would be easy to find with the index on the left side and sub catagorys if there was a lot of stuff. It seems logical to me but not so for many.
Chuck, I see them now. The layout is fine. I was using the "quick find" and getting mixed results. I was thinking I could be having cookie problems, but now I notice that the flanged headers are gone so I'm guessing I was looking while things were getting re-arranged or something.

Are the flanged headers coming back, or are they there and I'm just having browser issues?

marko

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I noticed a lot of responses about headers on a stock EB, but what would I expect in terms of HP increase on my '72 with an Edelbrock 600 carb and Performer intake if I were to install headers?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I have had headers on my Lightning for 4 years, if installed right you should never have to touch them. The only time I have ever had to touch the headers is when I blew up the motor. Well actually the guy who built my motor blew it up, hehe.

I plan to do some kind of header on the Bronc

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Somehow the flanged header picture got the same size as the screen so I blocked it until I have the chance to reload the picture. I have both in stock. The flangeless headers are selling better.
dpmerrill said:
Chuck, I see them now. The layout is fine. I was using the "quick find" and getting mixed results. I was thinking I could be having cookie problems, but now I notice that the flanged headers are gone so I'm guessing I was looking while things were getting re-arranged or something.

Are the flanged headers coming back, or are they there and I'm just having browser issues?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
chuck said:
Somehow the flanged header picture got the same size as the screen so I blocked it until I have the chance to reload the picture. I have both in stock. The flangeless headers are selling better.

Hey Chuck can you post a picture of the flanged header. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I am not thrilled with the flangeless design. While I agree it may seal better when they are new, I am just afraid that you will never get it to seal right, or you will have to distroy the header if you have to take the headers off for any reason.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
marko said:
I noticed a lot of responses about headers on a stock EB, but what would I expect in terms of HP increase on my '72 with an Edelbrock 600 carb and Performer intake if I were to install headers?

3 percent is the norm, or 3% of 100HP=3 HP so if you dad a stock motor it would be 6 HP, I am guessing that the upgrades(carb and Manifold) would be 25 HP for the sake of helping you .
maybe 10 HP.
My My, not a lot for all that work and money. Sorry
;)

marko

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Thanks for the input, but my carb and manifold added almost 40HP coupled with the 2 1/2 inch exhaust I put on the Bronco.

You seem very anti-header. Why is that?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont worry about feitctaj he just doesnt think they are worth the $$ for what you gain. I can sort of see his point but if you need a new exhaust system then your going to spend money anyways and anything that produces a gain is good in my book.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I absolutely love my Jethot coated Hedman headers # 89410 :cool:

Manifolds are like tofu and tea :-*

Headers are like steak and beer ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 40

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
marko said:
Thanks for the input, but my carb and manifold added almost 40HP coupled with the 2 1/2 inch exhaust I put on the Bronco.

You seem very anti-header. Why is that?
THanks Asark, and naz , but I can answer for myself,
I have had many , many sets of headers on diff rigs, I just never thought that they were worth the money and time . So I researched some , no a lot of data. If you would like I can post it for you.
Headers are a scam. Untill the last few months ,Nobody would post the truth. 3% increase is all you get. So If you started with a stock 69 and you have run yours on a Dyno to get the 40HP increase, You would get. Badabing badaboom.
11 hP?
Everybody, and I mean everybody post , HEADERS ARE one cheep way to get great HP.11 HP is Not worth the hassle, the reduced room and the Price of Headers and the welding on of reducers.
Over the past bunch of months , I have taken a lot of shit for my stance, and I have welcomed it, because there are too many people that are involved with the sale of headers , the promotion of headers, but not enough independant studies. But now there are three independant studies that have proven my original information that I found in some tech books a few years back.
Broncobowsher ,has done his homework, and shown that the prob is the matching of the ports , anybody with a set of ole header gaskets can tell you that theirs don't match up.
My whole contention, IS that they are a waste of money on anything but a track only rig, K -code manifolds would be a different story.
I am seeing this silly education of the Eb owner, Take the long way around the barn , buy a carb, intake and header combo. Then get Smart later and get a differant head setup and raise the comp ratio and change the CAM.
WHy not do that first, there is a bigger increase in power? In many cases 30%.
Ok, I drive fo a living, 500 miles a day, the boss sets the computor 3% less for the Day, I can't feel it!
:eek: :eek: :eek: