• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers.. Really worth it??

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
For those of you running basically a stock motor and using headers(either shortys or long tube) is it worth it? Did you see a performance gain or does your Bronco just sound better? Considering a set, probably shortys and would appreciate any advice/comments. Thanks

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I have headers, thinking about finding some stock manifolds. Keeps the engine bay much cooler.

TMC

Loc.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
This is a good question and something I am considering. I have heard mileage improves as well with less back pressure. What's the consenses?

Paul

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=17807;start=0#msg136205 date=1053792987]
I have headers, thinking about finding some stock manifolds. Keeps the engine bay much cooler.
[/quote]
I was thinking of the exact oposite. I have a small crack in one of my exhaust manifolds and was thinking of getting a set of ceramic coated headers to keep the engine compartmant temps down. I was under the impression that the coating helps to keep the heat on the inside of the tubes. Am I wrong?

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Dennis link=board=5;threadid=17807;start=0#msg136207 date=1053793670]
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=17807;start=0#msg136205 date=1053792987]
[/quote]
I was thinking of the exact oposite. I have a small crack in one of my exhaust manifolds and was thinking of getting a set of ceramic coated headers to keep the engine compartmant temps down. I was under the impression that the coating helps to keep the heat on the inside of the tubes. Am I wrong?
[/quote]

your right.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Some headers are worth it, some are not. A cheap header can be a bigger pain in the butt than they are worth. If you use stock manifolds with a nice 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust or a couple of 2 inch unning into a single 3 inch exhaust , I don't think you would lose very much at all on a lightly modded engine. The stock exhaust manifolds would be as reliable and much quieter inside of cab. If you port match those manifolds to a header gasket, you would be surprised at how little you would lose over a header.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:eek: :eek: :eek: It will be up to you I have run headers since 72 and will never go back on the old bronco as when bulding a motor that is part of the power a small tub header give's a higher torque and a large tub header is for high HP good luck with your choice. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p

Boatsw

Loc.
East Texas
I talked to a guy awhile back, he is on like his 20th Bronco...His basic advice was unless you spend the money for ceramic coating, the difference is not worth the added heat. said he has A/C in his, and the heat generated from the "uncoated" headers was still real bad......just an opinion

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
The coating does have an effect on underhood temperature. I would go with them (living in Cali).

Bottom line, everyone puts on headers for a reason. Ask anyone who has ever dyno'd an engine and ran a performance test on it and they will tell you they make a difference.

I would do a simple web search and do a little reading. I'm sure you will come up with more than enough info to satisfy the urge to install them.

My .02

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
I have the L&L (Jeffs) headers, and they have 3/8" flanges and have zero leaks -- I really like them. As for underhood temp, I don't really know; mine hasn't ever gone over 200° on the mechanical guage, even sitting in traffic.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Thanks for all the responses, seems to be a hot topic. Is anyone ruinning the factory performance manifolds like those in the link from flintknapper? Judging by the picture there might be some clearance issues trying to get the headpipes down by the firewall.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
I have long tub sm. Dia. headers on my 351w and other then being a pain in the a$$ to install I like them.

Next on my list is some header wraps to bring down the engine bay temp a bit. But then again the heat is nice on those cold Michigan mornings ;D

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
[quote author=XT700 link=board=5;threadid=17807;start=0#msg136287 date=1053817231]
Thanks for all the responses, seems to be a hot topic. Is anyone ruinning the factory performance manifolds like those in the link from flintknapper? Judging by the picture there might be some clearance issues trying to get the headpipes down by the firewall.
[/quote]

I have owned several vehicles with headers. And on every one of them I have had to replace the gasket between the flange and head a time or two. I have considered doing the mustang shorty headers(they look damn good) But I have Never had a cast iron manifold leak at the head (no gaskets on a ford, hey tight tolerances are nice thing....sometimes.) that is the reason that when I change my 30yr old stock manifolds
out I will go to those factory cast headers. I'm guess I'm getting lazy in my middle age. ;D

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I'd like to veture a guess that the headers had a whimpy flange if they leaked like that. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you order a set of cheap headers, expect little performance increase and a lot of gasket changes....

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
no, cheap they warn't (hookers) the problem it seems that the bolts would work loose sometimes. anyway the cast Iron doesn't have that problem (no gasket to blow out.) can even use the stock oil dip stick mounts.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
There is NO significant increase in power if you are running a stock motor. If you have a built motor, you can hope for a 3% increase in power. Headers sound cooler. Manifolds are easier to install and take up less space in the rig. If cool is worth money to you then have ater.Long may you run!