• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat is STRESSING ME!!! help me plz

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
Alright,

Here's the story... My 75 has a cranked up 302 engine, Howe racing radiator, puller fan in the hood, and stock fan setup... The problem is that it will work its way up to the 230 degree mark :eek: in which I have to stop playing, and let it rest. With that setup there is NO way it should over heat unless something else is wrong. The radiator says to run a 22-24 lb cap. mine is 13 lbs. should I switch that? Also my thermostat is whatever stock is, and my water pump is who knows how old, if not original. Please help me, I am getting PISSED with it.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Hmm not sure I can help but if you provide some additional info the others may chime in:

How long does it take to overheat?

What temp thremostat are you running?

Can you see the temp gauge move down when the t-stat opens?

Are you sure your gauge is accurate?

Are you running headers? Still have inner fenders?

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
I am running headers, and the inner fenders are cut for my shock hoops. I can't see the temp drop when the thermostat opens. It is a stock thermostat so whatever that is. I am pretty sure the gauge is accurate, and it takes about 15-20 minutes, or shorter if really giving it the beans on a climb. otherwise its just creeping through the woods in 4 low that does it.

iamfastrr

Head gasket in backwards...I have seen it before. Just a thought.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Id bet your t-stat is sticking closed or the impellers on yuor water pump are shot.

Start the truck and let it idle with the radiator cap off, can you see the coolant "flowing" when it heats up?

Maybe start with a new 195 t-stat in there and test that it opens using a boiling pot of water and a kitchen thermometer before putting it back in.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Start checking the simple things first:
Coolant full? leaks?
Good fan and shroud?
Good fan belt?
Thermostat good and installed correctly?
Old swollen or pinched hoses?

Personally I've never seen a waterpump cause a overheating problem unless it leaked. I think the missing vane thing is mostly an urban legend.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on a bad Tstat it could even be sticking open causing the issue. I would put on higher pressure cap as thats what it calls for it can help raise the coolant boiling point but probably wont cool the engine any.
Have you checked the jetting make sure its not to lean?.

Yellow76

When I had heating issues I did a few things. Chuck told me the water pump pulley should be smaller then your crank....mine was so I switched. Also I didn't have a fan shroud....now I do. I use a Robert Shaw Thermostat, two core AFCO Alum. Rad. and I think the cap is 20lbs, but I would have to check to make sure. I have headers, full inner fenders and run a 385W stroker. Good luck, I feel your pain.

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
It is a C-4 Auto, and I have checked most of those things. I am just unsure on the thermostat people are running. I was told the stock one would work the best but who knows... Fluid levels are good, and there are no pinched hoses or anything that easy. I will fire it up, and see what it is doing swirling or not. It just drives me nuts because I spent $500 on the Howe Racing radiator to not have this happen... Along which whacking a hole in my hood for the puller fan!

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
It is a C-4 Auto, and I have checked most of those things. I am just unsure on the thermostat people are running. I was told the stock one would work the best but who knows... Fluid levels are good, and there are no pinched hoses or anything that easy. I will fire it up, and see what it is doing swirling or not. It just drives me nuts because I spent $500 on the Howe Racing radiator to not have this happen... Along which whacking a hole in my hood for the puller fan!

What compression ratio is the engine? Have you checked the plugs to make sure it isn't running lean? What temp does it run on the street?
If the temp is 180-190 on the street, then your cooling system/radiator is probably ok.

Are you running a seperate tranny cooler? What's your gear ratio? What RPM do you run on the trail?

With an auto trans, you need to keep rpms up above stall speed ( usually about 1500 rpm). If you run in high range, with tall tires and gears then the trans has to work hard and it creates more heat than any radiator can handle.

I've got 4.88 gears and 35 inch tires and I usually run in low range on the trail in order to keep the rpms high enough.

Tom

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
definitions needed

What's a puller fan and what is a cranked up 302?
I've seen few heating problems fixed with exotic stuff like racing radiators and fans.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
Is the puller fan on your hood pulling air out of the engine compartment or blowing air in? I would guess it should be sucking air out.
If you don't know what stat you have then that should be the place to start.
A good quality 190 stat is the way to go.

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
What's a puller fan and what is a cranked up 302?
I've seen few heating problems fixed with exotic stuff like racing radiators and fans.

A puller fan is a fan that would suck air out of the engine compartment. And a cranked up 302 means it has been modified .30 over, etc. The fan is definitely pulling air out... So a higher thermostat does what?

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Keeps your coolant in the radiator longer allowing it to cool down better.
It raises the effeciency of cooling by increasing the differential between the hot water and cold air. Increasing the temp of the water works the same as lowering the temp of the air and we all know that our EBs cool better on cool days.
Tom

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
I'd try the easiest and most simple thing which to me would be the thermostat. Especially if you don't know when the current one was installed. If you don't have hot exhaust venting in to your engine compartment, your water pump seems to be working well and your fans are doing their job and your motor isn't running super lean to me at least the obvious place to start is the thermostat.

Then again I am fundamentally lazy and would do that just hoping that is the problem since all other issues are too much like work :)

Seriously, check that puppy out first.