• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat shielding for brake lines and proportioning valve

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Has anyone wrapped their brake lines and proportioning valve and noticed any difference in performance? While I have the head out I'm thinking about wrapping them just to protect them from heat but also think it may be unnecessary. Thinking of using this ://m.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010461?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-design-engineering-dei&gclid=CjwKEAjwoPG8BRCSi5uu6d6N5WcSJABHzD8FKHSF6GCmftULcaf60t4tBW7wiYu_IVvT8cVG4Ic4fhoCcSDw_wcB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would even if it's not a problem. A proportioning valve mounted on it's bracket in the stock location for '76 and '77 Broncos is somewhat close to the exhaust. Once headers are installed, it's too close in my opinion and I usually recommend moving it if you can, or protecting it with shielding if you can't.

Paul

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Thanks Paul. I've already moved it to where the old clutch mech was but I still think that's too warm of a place for it. I'm thinking of moving it even further down the frame almost under the pedals.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The problem with the wrap, as I see it, is that while it keeps the heat out it can also keep the heat in. An aluminum baffle between the exhaust and the brake parts will slow or stop heat transfer from the exhaust while not affecting the cooling of the brake components.

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
That makes sense, I could definitely make something like that. I'm thinking about bolting it straight to the frame rail with some rubber insulator between it and the rail and I could bolt and aluminum shroud to it while I'm at it. Definitely sleeving my hydraulic clutch line for the ZF, it's aluminum braided but would hate for the rubber inside to melt

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A simpler (I think) solution to the location dilemma would be what many others have done in more recent years. And that's to either bolt it to the wheel well below the master cylinder, or on a bracket right on the master itself. Very convenient and clean.

Some companies even sell a special bracket just for that.
There is a thread here just today with some pics of what I'm talking about.

Paul

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I saw theach under master cylinder mount. Very nice, hadn't thought about the wheel well mount. I'll go out and look to see.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure if I have any good pics (wrong computer, again!) but the ones I know of turned out really clean.
In fact, a lot cleaner looking than I would have imagined. Very sanitary installations.

Paul

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I have mine mounted to the master cylinder .

Attachments

• DSCN0435.jpg
    DSCN0435.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 91

pbwcr

Insulation is bad. Heat shield is good (like a reflective metal panel between PV and header). Example like any modern vehicle.

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Very nice, thanks for sharing. I may do that or bolt it up to the inner fender closer to the frame rail. I've got WH SS master cyl lines and don't want to cut them real short... theyre pretty hahaha. But I do like how clean it looks mounted up below the master cyl (directly or on the fender below it)