• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat!!!!!

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Currently have stock heater core. Am running 190*F Thermostat, but still just aint warm enough in the cab driving home from hunting. My main question is has anyone ever out one of those Electric DC heaters (saw some on Ebay before and in a truck stop) in their cab. Was thinking I could mount it on the "hump". Know that an alternator upgrade and also a direct wire would be needed. Would a separate battery be needed as well?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Is it blowing hot air at all?
I have been driving mine around with a 190 thermostat in 20 degree weather and have to put it on low heat after 10 or 15 min or so.

Have you checked the heater valve on the coolant line to make sure it opens when you pull the temp cable?

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Is it blowing hot air at all?
I have been driving mine around with a 190 thermostat in 20 degree weather and have to put it on low heat after 10 or 15 min or so.

Have you checked the heater valve on the coolant line to make sure it opens when you pull the temp cable?

All good suggestions... My stock heater just got the best test ever several weeks ago when we hit a record low of 7*F. It did just fine. Check the entire system for problems. Maybe your core is plugged. Check all your cables to make sure they are all stroking properly, like the heat open/close damper (Pull For Heat).

OP
OP
H

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Have ball valves not pull cables on hoses. They are open. When you said core did you mean radiator core or heater core? It blows SOME warm air, but mainly seems that cold air is in cab and not being warmed. Truck has no insulation like a ranger pkg with carpet etc.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'll second may be a plugged up heater core. How about airflow? does air come out of the vents good? if not you may have a lot of leaves and debris blocking the core preventing airflow. I dont even need to turn on the heater going down the road

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
Yeah, something is not functioning properly. You should be able to get the inside warm with outdoor temps in the 30's. When it gets down into single digits outside, I would say you can get the interior... well... not cold. At least that's my experience with a new heater core, resealed box, Chevy blower motor, and a tub that has more air leaks than I care to admit. Also with just the rubber floor mat and a hardtop with no liner.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I would seriously consider petting in a new heater core. I changed mine in one of my Broncos recently and the original one weighed twice as much as the new one due to all of the build up of sediment and mineral build up. I sprayed water from the garden hose through both and the new one flowed about twce as much as the old. The heater core was less than $25 and it heats much better. My heater works well even when its -20F. My next step will be to work on sealing up the cab better to keep the warm air in.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
As posted, fix what you have. It'll be less money than your "aux. heater" and actually work. The electric one will not do it. VW people have been trying it for years, with a whole lot less space to heat.

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
Aux. Heater

I have a '72 that I plow snow with and due to my original heater not kicking out enough heat for my liking I installed an aux heater in the very back right corner behind the wheel well. The factory heater never would keep the back window cleared of snow or frost and with this addition there never is build-up on the rear window. I do have it blowing backwards to act as a defroster. With the two heaters installed I will be sweating in about ten minutes if they both are on high. I don't have any carpet, headliner or quarter covers. I have also installed one on my wheeling rig to aid in not overheating. I have been wheeling for hours on end without shutting my truck down and the temp never rises. I bought both of my units from a NAPA store. In my opinion it has been the best $70.00 I spent on my plow rig. I guess I should state that these heaters obviously jump into the heater lines and are very easy to wire up the electric motor.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
My heater will run you out of my truck. I vote stopped up heater core or debris in the heater box blocking air flow.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
This is a great conversation - I have my heater out as I am redoing the dash - I will use this to rebuild and check everything while it is out - thanks for the info guys!! Its great to have such a team of people on here!