• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater air intake

Bdhand

Contributor
Are the screws that hold the air intake for the heater on the passenger side screwed in from the inside kick panel or from the inner fender side? Also what are you guys doing about the water that could get in there from rain or washing the truck? Can you drill holes in bottom for it to drain out?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So the fresh air intake has provisions for drainage at the bottom, there should be (3) 1/2" or so holes at the bottom, plus a slightly raised area in the plastic where water can drain out. A lot of times these things fill up with leaves and such and restrict draining.
And for lack of the correct term, there is a snorkle that mounts to the inside sheet metal (3 screws, with a gasket). It gives something for the flexible boot from the heater box to attach to inside. On the outside it is tapered, more on the top/less on the bottom, to help prevent water from getting in.

Mounting - most of the holes in the plastic have metal clips that accept screws from the inside. There are just a few screws that screw into the sheet metal from the outside.

Sealing - well the factory used a product like Plumbers putty to help seal around the holes. But most of that hardens and falls off with age. Then there was a half-assed attempt to spray some form of undercoating at the factory in the area to help with sealing/rust prevention. I generally use a small amount of silicon sealer/RTV around bolt holes when I do a reassemble.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Screws should go in from the passenger compartment side.

The air vent that wraps down the inner fender has drain holes to let water out. It's up to you to keep those clear so they work though.

Attachments

• WH air vent PS.jpg
    WH air vent PS.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
So there are no screws used at the top of the air box where it lays on the top of the cowl? I am assuming that I need to drill the holes where it screws in from the passenger side kick panel? I had to do some repair in that area so I am guessing they got welded up. I am thinking I can just mark where they go from the outside and drill then screw them in from the inside.

Is it the same for the fresh air box on the drivers side. Screws in from the inside or is that one different?

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Clarification:
Outside vent piece should screw in from the outside. Yes, line up, mark, and drill holes.
Inside adapter for the large hose should screw from the inside.

Drivers side has the screws only in the top. Once those are removed, the plastic vent box will lift out while paying attention to the bottom drain clearing the firewall hole.

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
So it’s my understanding that you will be able to see the points of the screws on the kick panel from the inside

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So it’s my understanding that you will be able to see the points of the screws on the kick panel from the inside

You would see screw ends (tips) from the Drivers side fresh air vent by looking up at the cowl from the inside.

You would see screw heads by looking at the passenger kick panel from the inside.

There are no screws holding the open portion of the heater fresh air inlet by screwing into the cowl... It would cause a water leak...

I know clear as mud now... %)

OP
OP
Bdhand

Bdhand

Contributor
Makes sense. I screwed them in from inside kick panel! Thanks guys!!