• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Hose Question

Hjwallace67

tempImageoJrI4y.jpg tempImageNpkq2N.jpg tempImagenIIqA5.jpg

Guys, newbie here. I've owned several classic Mustangs over the years, but I just purchased my first, 1st Gen Bronco. This may be a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out what this thing is that (I assume) the previous owner has plumbed into the heater hose lines. I've seen many Ford small blocks, but never anything like this. I tried to take a picture of where they put a Y in as well. Not sure if you can see it or not. Any help would be appreciated!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. My first thought was a homemade hot water heater for showers. Used to be fairly common in off-road circles.
But those would have two inlets and two outlets and yours just looks like a reservoir with one tube in and one out.

Are there any other connections? Electrical or otherwise?

brbuilder

Interesting. My first thought was a homemade hot water heater for showers. Used to be fairly common in off-road circles.
But those would have two inlets and two outlets and yours just looks like a reservoir with one tube in and one out.

Are there any other connections? Electrical or otherwise?
I believe that is an engine block heater for cold climates.

OP
OP
Hjwallace67

Hjwallace67

I don't see any electrical connections, but the engine block heater makes sense. This car is from Utah. Being in Alabama, I've never seen one. I'll do a little more digging on it and report back. Thanks for the help!

geofocusinc

That looks like a block heater from a diesel tractor. Common up north here, and it sure looks like an electrical cord coming off the bottom of your picture.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Engine block heater, a recirculating type. Moves heated coolant through the block.

I prefer this type for my area. Tractor, skid steer, EB, trucks etc. Freeze plug ones in really cold weather might not heat the other side of the block very efficiently. If course something is better than nothing. You may not need it in Alabama.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never seen anything like that, pretty cool.
so would it be 120v ac plug into the garage. Kinda looks like the cord it would be

brbuilder

Never seen anything like that, pretty cool.
so would it be 120v ac plug into the garage. Kinda looks like the cord it would be
The heater in your Bronco is obviously older but Amazon sells one called Zerostart 3308003. Has an 120v electrical plug.

66CTBronco

Loc.
New england
That's a block heater, 3 wire electrical cord comes right out of the bottom, mine had the same, cold colorado truck.
1664914901407.png

OP
OP
Hjwallace67

Hjwallace67

All, just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. As stated above, it is an engine block heater. It was actually made in Mississippi, according to the stamping that was barely legible. Now to find a plug for the block so I can get rid of it. Thanks again!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Where does the other hose go to? Usually they are plumbed inline into the heater hoses. But that one has a T-fitting. So that leaves it a mystery where the other end goes as it has to be in a loop. You mention a plug for the block. Did they tie it into the drain plug at the bottom of the block? Did they split it and go to both sides, or just one side? And if that is what they did, it is just standard ¼NPT and if you want to get fancy about it a drain cock can be put in so you can drain the block in a controlled manor later if desired.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
You never know what some come up with. As mentioned it should be in the drain plug on the side of the block. Should be in the same side of the heater, your bottom hose appears to be going to the water pump area????

OP
OP
Hjwallace67

Hjwallace67

Sorry for the delayed response, I guess i missed the notifications. The top hose goes to a T in the heater hose that runs across the top of the intake manifold. The bottom hose goes to the engine block on the passenger side. Another fun issue is that the 90 that they put in the block hits the motor mount when i try to remove it.... Guess I'm going to end up trying to grind it down to get it off.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it hitting in such a way as to allow you to lift the motor up just a bit to remove the fitting?
Just thinking you might be able to unbolt the motor mount, lift the engine slightly with a jack and block of wood under the oil pan (or pan rail is probably better) and then remove the fitting.

Paul

OP
OP
Hjwallace67

Hjwallace67

Good thought. it is the edge of the mount, where it attaches to the block. I might give that a try after work. Thanks!