• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Motor Upgrade

RT

Bronco Guru
I just got done with mine yesterday , and while it does blow stronger than the stock one, Im wonering if I got a bum motor or if some are stronger than others.

it's just that after hearing some guys say the low speed is noisy, and some others have put a reostat ? in line to slow the slow speed down, the one I have is not much louder or faster than stock . The high speed is stronger for sure .

or maybe I just envisioned a more dramatic difference.

The heater core is new as of last year , and the intake is clear of leaves, bugs, rats, squirrel's n' junk
I'm using the 4 seasons one of this list , anyone else use this one ??

Vendor...............Part #
ACI..................33892
Everco...............M892
Murray...............208971
4 Seasons............35587 Siemens..............PM102E (This is the Maker of the motor)
NAPA.................455-1039
Factory Air..........35587
Kragen...............35587
YJ replacement.......PM102E

Last edited:

Hopkins85

Loc.
Wheeeling, WV
I actually have an np435 with mine and it fits just fine. My motors not very loud either you can't even hear it over the air its moveing

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
this sounds amazing. does anybody that has the new mod have a NP435 transmission? if you so does it fit in pretty smooth or do you have to do some shaving or anything?
Just replacing the heater motor shouldn't have any impact on what transmission you have. If you were replacing the plenum too, then the NP435 shifter could be too close. But the blower motor is well off to the side so you're good.

Mine is significantly louder then the stock motor I replaced, especially on high... and moves much more air. I'll dig up my receipt to see which one it was. It's been a while.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Ok, I went to Orielys and got a PM102. The off set on the motor does not alow me to use the stock blower wheel. The stock is 3" deep and with the new motor hits the back of the heater box. Did I get the wrong motor or do I need a differnet cage to make it work?/

Last edited:

Hopkins85

Loc.
Wheeeling, WV
Is it the metal one? From wht I understand if its the metal cage it won't fit with the conversion but the plastic one will. Mine was plastic and it did fit.

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Is it the metal one? From wht I understand if its the metal cage it won't fit with the conversion but the plastic one will. Mine was plastic and it did fit.

Hmmmmm, I just installed this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...rans&utm_campaign=shipped&utm_content=general

and this:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...rans&utm_campaign=shipped&utm_content=general

I trimmed the mounting hole out larger & had to find the best position to clock the motor. The cage did want to ride on the back of the heater box/outlet flange, but it did fit when the motor was positioned correctly. I almost added a thick gasket between the motor & housing, but eventually got it done without the extra thickness. I'd recommend doing this with the heater box out of the truck. I did it without removing the heater box & it was a long, frustrating, & uncomfortable process. But my heater box broke & I had to fix the face of the box where the motor bolts. About 30% of the mounting flange stayed on the old motor when I pulled it out.

I passed on the plastic option, because I figured the metal would be more durable. With as many times as I removed & reinstalled the motor, I bet the plastic would have been broken before the job was done.

Its a bit louder than the stock motor, but it is very minimal. The sound of the air movement is the biggest difference, not the motor. I'd say on low speed, its moving as much air as the old stock fan was moving on hi speed.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Ok. I got the parts ordered from napa. They had the motor but not the blower wheel, I had to order it so I hope it is the 2.5 inch metal unit. It's supose to be. The high temps are supose to be in the mid 20s this week. Lows in the single
digits.

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Good luck, it made a nice difference in my truck. The defrost actually stops the windshield from fogging up from the inside. On cold mornings, me and my coffee would always fog over the windshield even on high speed. Its pretty sweet. It really cranks on high speed!

Dlish

The stock blower motor had the power and ground coming out right next to each other. I can plug the power into the new motor, but where did everyone ground the new motor?

From one of the mounting screws to the heater box? or to the body?

Thanks

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The stock blower motor had the power and ground coming out right next to each other. I can plug the power into the new motor, but where did everyone ground the new motor?

From one of the mounting screws to the heater box? or to the body?

Thanks
To the body or dash. The heater box isn't metal (not mine anyway) so won't work as a ground.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I gounded under the dash, to the dash. High is great for defrosting the windshield. Low is great for the rest of thetime. Low is quiet and pushes enough air to keep the EB warm during days that are below 25 degees. I wish I had a medium.

Monca68

Loc.
Pottstown pa
I see someone mentioned the NAPA part #6551406 for the heater motor. Did this work OK or should I return it for # 4551039 I dont know if there is a difference. Thanks

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Back up to the top I suppose. I just finished this mod, thanks to this thread, and so far it's great. Haven't got everything back together or used it but I can already tell it's nice.

I should have scanned it, don't know if I still have it or not but the motor came with a sort of prove out sheet, but it was a graph of power input to RPM's. Got me to thinking, for those who want variable speed, has anyone used some sort of variable resistance control on this?

Today was the first time I tested it with my Bronco's wiring system, worked great, however it was weaker than when I tried it direct to the battery, which does make sense. Direct to the battery it would close the main flapper door on it's own, you had to hold it open. Off the wiring harness it worked well, just wasn't like having a jet engine in there if you know what I mean.

Got me to thinking if I ever work on that area again maybe wiring up the heater motor directly, as in giving it it's own accessory circuit using larger wires, and using a variable resistance speed controller instead of the stock 2 speed switch. Any reason this wouldn't work? I'm not planning on doing this myself anytime soon, but if anyone is planning on doing this swap it might be an idea to consider, "while your in there".

Also, for those asking about up to date part numbers, the ones in the thread are good, but I think NAPA did change one number for the motor. I used these and it went together great.

Blower Wheel: NAPA# 655-1406
Blower Motor: NAPA# 655-1039

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpg
    IMG_4003.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4004.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 93

Hopkins85

Loc.
Wheeeling, WV
Has anyone had problems with whining, I just put a reseal kit and the Chevy squirrel cage in and it seems to be whinning I thought it could be the metal cage, maybe a bent fin? Or maybe the motor just needs a shot of wd40 it seriously sounds like a hair drier, lol

jms5580

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
With cold weather approaching I'll be tackling this very soon. Interested in what Airmapper said. It would be nice to have a little more adjustability in the speed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the heck with originality. Someone should come up with a 3 speed switch!
Either that, or somewhat-infinitely variable, like modern climate control vehicles.

Well, if you take into account the way I used to use mine, I suppose it is a 3-speed. For the basic "cold" weather we generally get around these parts, I just leave the fan off, set the general temperature I like, and just "Pull For Heat" to let the natural air flow in from the vent push warm air gently into the cab.
Works for all but the coldest days or when defrosting is in dire need.

Which reminds me, isn't it just about time for this year's "PFH" (pull-for-heat) thread?
Lots of new Bronco owners that probably have not needed the heater yet. Probably a few that missed the little message stamped into the control knob?

Paul

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
...Which reminds me, isn't it just about time for this year's "PFH" (pull-for-heat) thread?
Lots of new Bronco owners that probably have not needed the heater yet. Probably a few that missed the little message stamped into the control knob?

Paul
That's funny because last year someone in our Bronco club asked me why he wasn't getting any heat.

Good reminder.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'm thinking my 76 needs this..

Drove it w/out the doors a couple times, Brrrr.. heater works, just not putting out..

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Dave its a major difference. Drove around Disney at 19 degrees out without top or doors and my feet stayed toasty all day. And i was just wearing my normal pair of socks and boots. No added insulation on the feet. Just the coveralls