• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP!! Bronco shakes out of 1st gear!!

4oclockfriday

Loc.
so cal
I have a 72 Bronco thats lifted with 35's. Has a 4spd tranny in it. When I put it in 1st gear and start to go it chatters and shakes the hell out of the truck. (Yes I know how to drive a stick!) It happens real bad on inclines it seems like. Also it doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes I can drive all day and have it not happen. Other days it happens everytime I come to a completer stop and then go. Only in 1st gear though! What could this be??? Is it a warped flywheel? Clutch? Im baffled? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

74bronc

Bronco Guru
sounds like you have a case of the early bronco clutch chatter. For some reason, the clutches in these things chatter like a mother. I tried everything to get my clutch to not chatter (new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, rebuilt all linkage etc.) and it would always still do it, like yours. Not all the time, but most of the time. It was noticeably better when I had a 10" clutch in it after the 351W swap. My cure=C4 auto. no longer chatters! :)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Temp fix from the OLD school pull up to a tree and put it in gear and slip the cluch at about 1500 rpm them go back to driving and it will stop 9 out of 10 times good luck.;D ;D ;D Bill 8) %) :p

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Classic Bronco Chatter. Almost every stick shift bronco suffers from it at one time or another and to varing degrees.

It has been cured by changing any one or combination of thing including, but not limited to:
Body bushings
Transfer case bushings
Engine mounts
Clutch linkage
Clutch/flywheel/ and other related parts
Leaf springs
and probably the most effective cure is to install an automatic. That stopped my chatter problems.

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I have the same problem in mine. New clutch, pressure plate, motor mounts, bodybushings, trans.case bushings, leaf springs, ect. I just live with it. I think it has something to do with the reason I have to wind out the clutch or rev it up to get going from a stop. It happens the worse for me while reversing.

OP
OP

4oclockfriday

Loc.
so cal
EXACTLY! Its way worse in Reverse! How bizarre. Glad to see Im not the only one dealing with it. Ill try the tree method. Haha! You never know!

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I'm gonna go with the automatic tranny answer when My 3speed finally goes on me. Good luck. I have noticed that if you whind out the clutch the shakes go away. You have to give it more gas and less clutch at least that's my .02 on the shakes.

OP
OP

4oclockfriday

Loc.
so cal
Haha! Classic! We have the exact same problem and are trying to solve it the same way. I noticed that to. I just gas it and I can power through it. Too funny!

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I've got a new linkage all set to go in. Now if I can just figure out how to tap a hole in the bellhousing where it bolt's on without removing the whole thing I'll be all set. (The PO did a wonderful job fabricating a bracket)

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Put in new motor mounts and t-case mounts. Oh yeah don't forget about that little snubber on the rear crossmember...it actually does something! I got my chatter to a minimum by putting a torque chain on the motor, and putting in new bushings. Eventually I will get rid of those ghetto lift blocks in the rear. Then it will drive like a well-oiled (non-leaking) machine.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
make sure no motor oil is seaping it's way into the clutch via the rear main seal or a valve cover dripping down.
I fixed mine (wasn't that bad to begin with) with new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, tranny mount bushings and all new clutch linkage bushing. Now, it's silky smooth

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Broncobowsher said:
Classic Bronco Chatter. Almost every stick shift bronco suffers from it at one time or another and to varing degrees.

It has been cured by changing any one or combination of thing including, but not limited to:
Body bushings
Transfer case bushings
Engine mounts
Clutch linkage
Clutch/flywheel/ and other related parts
Leaf springs
and probably the most effective cure is to install an automatic. That stopped my chatter problems.

As usual Bowsher you are so on target...

Some people have cured it by going with a hydraulic master & slave setup too.

~BH