• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help - C Bushing Replacement Only - 1973 Ranger

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
Hey All, I am going to replace the C Bushings on my 1973 Bronco. It's stock and not lifted. I got new rubber bushings from Jeff's BG. I have searched the threads here and also went on to You Tube to look for tips in installing them. From what I have seen, most of the videos talk about the orientation of the Bushings. The threads mostly address replacing the 14 suspension parts that come in a kit, including the C Bushings. However, I just want to replace the C Bushings as the rest of the suspension parts were recently replaced. Any tips or tricks to do this? Or do I have to take off the coil springs and disassemble the front end? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the stock rubber bushings they are the same either way, once you put in degrees poly bushings that when the importance of what is up I
And s
Down comes into play. Honestly I would replace the radius arm bushings at the same time even if newer.
You basically have to take the front suspension apart to replace the bushings
It’s a bit of work simple but a lot

OP
OP
cannunz546

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
With the stock rubber bushings they are the same either way, once you put in degrees poly bushings that when the importance of what is up I
And s
Down comes into play. Honestly I would replace the radius arm bushings at the same time even if newer.
You basically have to take the front suspension apart to replace the bushings
It’s a bit of work simple but a lot

Thanks very much!!

Jfryjfry

I have heard that a stock bronco doesn’t have much caster. I would probably put in some degreed bushings even with a stock rig.

I didn’t look at the link but it is advisable to remove the radius arms and make sure that they are installed properly to help avoid a bronco lean.

There are articles on how to do it.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'm in the " put in degreed bushings " camp. I was told by an old / longtime alignment expert that The D -44 specs from Dana were wrong and that Broncos need more Caster.
My '68 ( with d 44) had a 2 1/2" suspension lift and drove terrible. Looking through the receipts the PO gave me I saw receipt for the lift and 4 * bushings. I tore the front end apart to see if the bushings were backwards. I found 2* bushing were installed . I replaced those with 7 * and it made a heck of a lot of difference . Even with the 7* bushings and only a 2 1/2" lift my Caster is 3.2 * and I've been told that's borderline .

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
It helps to have some longer bolts for the bushing caps. getting the bushings quashed tight enough to start the stock bolts is a bear, so having some longer bolts to start snugging it down is a big help. Everything else is straight forward, except maybe fishing your socket down into the spring to loosen the lower spring mount.

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
darn guess i'm a day late but it was suggested by a respected builder here on CB to use petroleum jelly on the mounting surfaces of the bushings, so I did one set with jelly and one without and it made a huge difference!!

Congrats on getting them done!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The lube, or not to lube scenario is not as dire with stock rubber bushings anyway. It's a big help with poly though, so it's still a good idea with those.

Paul

OP
OP
cannunz546

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Thanks, Paul. I put 120 miles on her today and had a blast. We don't have a lot of great driving days here in Chicago so I took advantage of the weather. But she's back in the garage now.

Attachments

• 20200516_171929.jpg
    20200516_171929.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 20

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And Mark is not speaking to you specifically cannunz. He's just throwing it out there generically for the time it does matter to someone reading this thread.
In your case, with your Bronco at stock height and you using stock rubber C-bushings, you have not changed your pinion angle so the warning does not apply.

And besides... Since yours is on the garage ceiling hanging upside down, everything is reversed and the pinion angle goes in the opposite direction.
And it can't go off road and use 4wd anyway.;D%)

Paul

OP
OP
cannunz546

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Now that's funny Paul. Nothing personal taken. I had by my side a 50-year mechanic who worked on Broncos back in the day so it was all good. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do when this fella retires but for now I've got a good Mentor.

OP
OP
cannunz546

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
And this Bronco has never driven any better!!! New tires, coils, leaf springs, shocks, suspension rubber (and seat padding). It is quite a trick getting it to hang upside down but I've got that down to a science now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great to hear! Now get out there and socially distance yourself from the cab!;D

Paul

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here you go, now it can go off-road ;D

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg