• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help identifying hose leak

PasadenaBronco

Loc.
Pasadena, CA
Hoping to get help identifying this leak that is blowing oil/transmission fluid? all over my engine and driveway. Have a video link where you can see the reddish fluid leaking out of an old DIY gasket seal (gray):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17TFweSLg54B7RQUDIyEjsY2JuLgu3tQe/view?usp=sharing

Not much of a DIY fixer myself so don't know if this hose is something I should attempt to fix myself or if any Ford mechanic can quickly diagnose and replace.

Leak is coming from below the slapped on gasket seal (obviously it didn't work!)

A few more pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G-VJlC8arVThtc2ktT7gcF8A3HViC0sJ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqS7NmpG1dmFefd-bel8qH7ei8aX1xmm/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yXxdz3ozu1atVGHE0CZQe_pZgp_3mlPe/view?usp=sharing

Here in San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena/Glendale) area and if someone has a recommendation that would be great!

Thx!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Sorry to hear you’re having leak trouble. Never fun!
Can’t really tell for sure from the pictures where it’s going to incoming from, but the judging by the area it’s in you’re probably correct that it’s a transmission fluid cooler line.
The problem with having somebody fix it is that it’s not a factory part. Looks completely custom so only the person tasked to fix it would likely know what to do.
Or we would need to see further details showing the origination and termination points. With any luck it’s just a piece of hose that needs replacing. Probably rubbed itself through on the sheet metal nearby. If that’s the case you probably could do it in your garage, or any halfway competent shop could tackle it.
Hopefully with some added protection this time. Either through different routing, or maybe a piece of the old hose split down the middle and wrapped around it to keep it from scuffing.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Do You have a shot, where the end of that hose connects to? It would help, I'm thinking its a after market cooler for the trans, and you should be able to get a hard line that size at a auto parts store, you would have to bent it to fit. But more pictures of where it connects too would help.

OP
OP
P

PasadenaBronco

Loc.
Pasadena, CA
Hey there. Sorry to hear you’re having leak trouble. Never fun!
Can’t really tell for sure from the pictures where it’s going to incoming from, but the judging by the area it’s in you’re probably correct that it’s a transmission fluid cooler line.
The problem with having somebody fix it is that it’s not a factory part. Looks completely custom so only the person tasked to fix it would likely know what to do.
Or we would need to see further details showing the origination and termination points. With any luck it’s just a piece of hose that needs replacing. Probably rubbed itself through on the sheet metal nearby. If that’s the case you probably could do it in your garage, or any halfway competent shop could tackle it.
Hopefully with some added protection this time. Either through different routing, or maybe a piece of the old hose split down the middle and wrapped around it to keep it from scuffing.
Thanks DirtDonk -- i'm going to dig up a few more pics but thanks for the suggestion on additional protection. Definitely a crack in the hose itself as this has not been changed in years. Appreciate it!

OP
OP
P

PasadenaBronco

Loc.
Pasadena, CA
Do You have a shot, where the end of that hose connects to? It would help, I'm thinking its a after market cooler for the trans, and you should be able to get a hard line that size at a auto parts store, you would have to bent it to fit. But more pictures of where it connects too would help.
Hi Savage ---- i'll grab a few more pics to see if i can get better coverage of the origination/destination points for the hose. Thx!