• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help me complete my parts list

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
I'm trying to gather up all the parts I might need before I get started on my project. The plan is to build the ultimate EB. I want something that I can take on a road trip or the roughest trail around. I want it all! Here's a list of somethings that I know of. Help me figure out what else needs to be on the list. If you have an opinion of what I should add or take off, lets here it. Items with the "" are things I already have. Other items I still need to get. If you have those parts please let me know.

Dana 60 front
1.  electric locker
2.  5.13 gears
3.  bearings
4.  seals
5.  35 spline stubs
6.  35 spline lockouts
7.  spare shafts
8.  spare hub
9. Chevy TRE steering
10.  F150 P/S box
11.  extended heimed radius arms
12. drop pitman arm

Dana 60 rear
1.  electric locker
2.  5.13 gears
3. bearings?
4. seals?
5.  35 spline shafts
6. disc brake conversion

351W engine
1.  1970 short block
2.  1970 heads
3. head work
4. new cam (which one?)
5.  gasket set
6. assembly
7. 351 mustang intakes
8.  EFI harness and ECM
9.  mass air meter
10.  serpentine belt system
11. Saginaw conversion
12. 3G alternator
13. Dual batteries
14.  Headers

trans-tcase
1.  AOD with low gearing
2.  AOD to D20 adaptor
3.  D20
4. D20 output upgrade
5. D20 J twin stick kit
6.  AOD shifter

Body
1.  1968 body
2. soft top
3.  A/C
4. front seats
5.  console
6.  roll bar
7. winch bumper
8. Warn 9500
9. Gas tanks – efi?
10. herculiner
11.  aux lights
12. hydraboost
13.  big radiator
14.  electric fan
15. marine? CB
16. marine CD player
17.  grant steering wheel
18. 5 point seats and belts

suspension
1. 5.5” cage coils
2. 7* bushings
3. adjustable tracbar
4. rear shackle flip
5.  driveshafts
6.  shocks
7.  3" body lift

tires – wheels
1.  38” TSLs
2.  16x10 rims
3. spare
4. stauns

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The d 20 is not strong enough. upgrade to an atlas/stak/205 any one of those cases are much stronger. I would like to see more motor than a W but I am sure a w will work fine. When you say "the ultimate EB" it just opens the door to all kinds of mods and kills the bank account. Tube chassie,gas shocks,full cage,racing seats, powder coated everything,427,and a hood scoop too. Is this a high dollar build or a "How good can I do with stock parts" build. Not busting on you I just want to know how much is too much.

Sounds like fun
Bax

OP
OP
GubNi

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should say ultimate EB on a budget? I did a thread on the D20 a few months ago and got some great feedback saying it I upgrade the output shaft it will be ok. I have a 205 here, but would rather use the lower geared and lighter D20. I can get all the power I need out of a 351W. Fuel economy is a concern so I can't go too wild on the motor. I will probably have a full cage, racing seats, and POR most of the chassy.

OP
OP
GubNi

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
I agree with you, but to compensate I've got 35 spline chomoly shafts. The big reason I like it is full float. I know they make a full float kit for the 9" but then I'd have to convert the front 60 to 5 lug. After it's all said and done I think a rear 60 with 35 spline shafts will do the job for me. If not, then portals on a 9" would be an awesome upgrade.

BigFord74

Loc.
Nixa,Mo
I love this thread already. Means i wont' have to start one. Altho i wont' be going so radical at least not on the wifes. But this thread will be able to give me lots of good ideas.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"Fuel economy is a concern so I can't go too wild on the motor."

Great thread and you have some excellent plans- I am just wondering if that quote is really an issue is this "build" possible. Case in point-D60's, C4,Atlas 4.3, 4.88s, 40" MTRs, descent 357sefi got a best of 9mpg on a street cruise-mainly 2 lane but some 4 lane at 60-70.......
Just wondering...

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I agree, if you want tough then go with the 205 t-case. A couple of other things that you might think about:

Ram assist steering for those 38's. Hydroboost!! You will also need an EMC for EFI conversion along with a wiring harness, all of the misc sensors and .02 bungs in your headers or exahust collectors. High presure fuel pump. Some kind of gas tank or fuel cell.

Sounds like you've got most of major stuff figured out. Should a great EB when your done.

ransil

Bronco Guru
My $.02 get go with a 700R4 or 4R70 (sp) tranny.
Use a "newer" 351 EFI motor, get a doner with everything.
Skip the drop brackets and adjustable trac bar, build the axle to fit.

OP
OP
GubNi

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
I'm hopeing for 15mpg. I think the overdrive will help with that.

I've already got the AOD to D20 adaptor, so I'm going to give it a try. If it fails then I'll put a 205 in.

I've got a 78 Bronco on 38" boggers with a saginaw pump and never needed ram assist, so I think with the lighter EB I'll be ok there.

I'm planning on hydroboost. It's on the list.

I've got the ECM, wiring, etc from a mustang

I also have both tanks from a 77 EB. Should I use them and buy two external fuel pumps or get the pricey 23 gallon?

I had the AOD "built" with the lower gears from a 4R70. I also already have the high compression early motor, so might as well use it.

I'm not sure what you mean by build the axle to fix. Do you mean make a custom tracbar mount on the axle that will allow me to use a factory tracbar?

Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming!

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you go with the single 23 gal. tank it will reduce your plumbing issues. Aslo, by eliminating the front extra tank on the eb you will free up room for an air storage tank if you wish. That is the location for my air tank and it fits well.

gpete

I'm hopeing for 15mpg. I think the overdrive will help with that.

I've already got the AOD to D20 adaptor, so I'm going to give it a try. If it fails then I'll put a 205 in.

I've got a 78 Bronco on 38" boggers with a saginaw pump and never needed ram assist, so I think with the lighter EB I'll be ok there.

I'm planning on hydroboost. It's on the list.

I've got the ECM, wiring, etc from a mustang

I also have both tanks from a 77 EB. Should I use them and buy two external fuel pumps or get the pricey 23 gallon?

I had the AOD "built" with the lower gears from a 4R70. I also already have the high compression early motor, so might as well use it.

I'm not sure what you mean by build the axle to fix. Do you mean make a custom tracbar mount on the axle that will allow me to use a factory tracbar?

Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming!
Have you considered a cummins 4bt diesel you will have loads of torque at lower rpms and 25-30 MPG

bax

Contributor
Old Member
trans cooler, radio,guages, hi lift jack, first aid kit, tow strap, and a hood scoop.
Nice truck

Bax