• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help me plan my exhaust system

mustanggarage

Contributor
I am going to be dropping the engine and the rest of the drivetrain into the chassis next month and I need to start planning my exhaust. I am putting a 351 with an ax 15 and a dana 20 into the chassis. I prefer the sound and look of the magnaflow mufflers. I am trying to plan which exhaust system is going to work the best for me. I have been looking pretty hard at bronco huts system with the shorty headers.

what systems have been used with this setup and what works the best. ?

broncomike629

I have a 302 and I used some cheapy stainless ebay shorties but I just installed the bronco hut system and although I haven’t fired it yet I was happy with the way it went together (even though there are zero installation instructions). It did take a few weeks to show up though so plan accordingly. Only downside for me in New England is that it is not stainless

1971BroncoSport

Duff

I just installed Duff’s long tube headers and dual exhaust with magnaflow. Went in easy. One header bolt on each side was a little tricky - but went in fine. Two pages of instructions that were well written.

Attachments

• EBBA36E0-A7D8-4DAF-B7C8-203AE48AE0CE.jpg
    EBBA36E0-A7D8-4DAF-B7C8-203AE48AE0CE.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 146
  • EB9443DF-9D9E-402C-BD7F-D54520E69681.jpg
    EB9443DF-9D9E-402C-BD7F-D54520E69681.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 136
  • BF43DFD4-C5CE-4C6C-B417-C01B1F9AF215.jpg
    BF43DFD4-C5CE-4C6C-B417-C01B1F9AF215.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 143
  • D6F08049-5525-48C4-893A-B0B052CC45D6.jpg
    D6F08049-5525-48C4-893A-B0B052CC45D6.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I just installed Duff’s long tube headers and dual exhaust with magnaflow. Went in easy. One header bolt on each side was a little tricky - but went in fine. Two pages of instructions that were well written.

What engine and transmission do you have

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What engine and transmission do you have

Most header flanges will have one hole that is smaller then the rest. That is for alignment. sometimes a hole at the other end will be oval, also for alignment. IF all the holes were just the right size it would be really hard to install, the slightest warp would throw it off. So one hole to set the alignment and all the sloppy holes to hold it in place. Why you always start all the bolts before you tighten any of them down.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Most header flanges will have one hole that is smaller then the rest. That is for alignment. sometimes a hole at the other end will be oval, also for alignment. IF all the holes were just the right size it would be really hard to install, the slightest warp would throw it off. So one hole to set the alignment and all the sloppy holes to hold it in place. Why you always start all the bolts before you tighten any of them down.

the reason I'm asking is I want to know how these individual exhaust systems might work with my setup. I am looking to see what clearance issues I might have.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With a change in the drivetrain from stock, I would recommend a local exhaust shop to bend the pipe for you. It will fit. Some of the Exhaust "Kits" may not fit as well.

SDBMtber

O have a 351 and ax15. Went with the bronco hut shorty headers and their 2 into 1 exhaust system. It seems to fit but there are definite tight spots. Not sure if I ended up with the ideal routing or not. Kit and headers are definitely well designed and made in my opinion.

I had to take about an inch off the end of a couple pieces to get everything lined up as best as possible. Haven’t fired it up yet to evaluate sound or if it’s all sealed up.

Here are some pics during install and layout. Not the final fit I don’t think.

Attachments

• F794E924-648D-4DAE-8AD6-64140E7E9E1A.jpg
    F794E924-648D-4DAE-8AD6-64140E7E9E1A.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 3611C7C8-069E-47F3-A51A-814543BE5E81.jpg
    3611C7C8-069E-47F3-A51A-814543BE5E81.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 109
  • AE601196-9F26-43EF-94CE-67C7F8A10EBB.jpg
    AE601196-9F26-43EF-94CE-67C7F8A10EBB.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
O have a 351 and ax15. Went with the bronco hut shorty headers and their 2 into 1 exhaust system. It seems to fit but there are definite tight spots. Not sure if I ended up with the ideal routing or not. Kit and headers are definitely well designed and made in my opinion.

I had to take about an inch off the end of a couple pieces to get everything lined up as best as possible. Haven’t fired it up yet to evaluate sound or if it’s all sealed up.

Here are some pics during install and layout. Not the final fit I don’t think.

that is perfect. can you tell me what and where you had to cut it?, did you weld the o2 sensor bung in, or does it come that way?

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
and btw I am not sold on one kit versus another. I have been looking at that duffs setup pretty hard also. so if anyone has used it on a 351 I would like to see how they fit etc. the main reason I was looking at bronco huts is they specifically say on there web site that it will fit 351 and ax 15.

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
Call and talk to Monstrr mike at Duff’s. He can tell you what, if any of his setups will fit. They have a rolling chassis that they mock up their systems. I installed the 2into1 setup. I’m happy with it.

SDBMtber

It came with bungs welded in both the passenger and driver header. I only need to use one. I remember thinking one side (maybe passenger) would be a super tight fit between installed sensor and firewall.

Not at home until Sunday. I can verify more when I’m near the bronco if you want. I don’t remember the cuts unfortunately! I think about an inch off the driver side header tube or crossover pipe. And a couple inches off the muffler outlet pipe I think to position the tailpipe. It pretty much rests on the transmission crossmember and this is the tightest fit. Not sure if that will prove to be a problem or not.

Duff was looking for guinea pigs about two weeks after I bought this setup. If I hadn’t already purchased, I definitely would’ve considered giving their kit and headers a try.

BradinEDH

Contributor
Here is what I did. 351W with NV3550. Wh Long tube headers, Magnaflow muffler and Summit tubing. Custom cut and welded in the garage. Had to clearance for the Clutch linkage. Otherwise I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_8101.jpg
    IMG_8101.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8104.jpg
    IMG_8104.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3155.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Call and talk to Monstrr mike at Duff’s. He can tell you what, if any of his setups will fit. They have a rolling chassis that they mock up their systems. I installed the 2into1 setup. I’m happy with it.

It came with bungs welded in both the passenger and driver header. I only need to use one. I remember thinking one side (maybe passenger) would be a super tight fit between installed sensor and firewall.

Not at home until Sunday. I can verify more when I’m near the bronco if you want. I don’t remember the cuts unfortunately! I think about an inch off the driver side header tube or crossover pipe. And a couple inches off the muffler outlet pipe I think to position the tailpipe. It pretty much rests on the transmission crossmember and this is the tightest fit. Not sure if that will prove to be a problem or not.

Duff was looking for guinea pigs about two weeks after I bought this setup. If I hadn’t already purchased, I definitely would’ve considered giving their kit and headers a try.

thanks, I think I will try and talk to monster mike. and see what they recommend. I am going to wait to make the call until I am ready to order which will be in a couple weeks once I get the engine trans and transfer case in place. in the mean time the bronco hut still looks like a good option. thanks for the info and the pictures.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Here is what I did. 351W with NV3550. Wh Long tube headers, Magnaflow muffler and Summit tubing. Custom cut and welded in the garage. Had to clearance for the Clutch linkage. Otherwise I love it.

looks good thanks

SDBMtber

One other thing I forgot to mention. Bronco hut exhaust wants to crossover right in front of bell housing in the little “notch” provided by some oil pans.

I think I have the truck 351 oil pan which has that notch, but has less clearance to Front axle. Sounds like this plan will end up getting some clearance made by the axle into he oil pan under full compression!

Seems like the generally preferred 351 pan is the ford motorsports pan that has more middle clearance for the axle. But, this pan doesn’t have the notch where the bronco hut exhaust routes...

So my current plan is keep this pan. If the axle bumps end up being too bad, I’ll probbaly try and modify a notch into the ford motorsports pan or do a minor exhaust reroute to use that pan.