• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help. Parts list for a 76 302 motor rebuild....

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
Guys, I'm three weeks out from pulling the motor and sending it off to the machine shop. However, I need to order all the parts for the swap. This is what I have so far:

The motor will be gone over completely and bored 30 over. I'm hoping to keep the original crankshaft. The machine shop said he rarely if ever seen a bad crankshaft so he just planned on polishing up the original crankshaft.

Here is what I have already purchased:
1. Edelbrock Carb 1406 with gasket and bolts
2. Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold with gaskets and bolts.
3. Keeping original heads.
4. New Long Tube Headers with gaskets and bolts.
5. Edelbrock Cam shaft.
6. Edelbrock timing chain.

For what I need should I buy a complete rebuild kit? Should I piece it together myself? Can anyone recommend a complete rebuild kit that isn't crap?

Thank you so much in advance,

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would definitely replace the oil pump, and maybe the water pump. Also get the valve springs for your cam. Good luck

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Hello,

If you don't already have them some nice valve covers. By the way can I ask the machine shop you are using? I am in DFW.

Thanks

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
I'm using City Motor Supply off of Harry Hines and 635. They have been there forever and Ken is a good guy. I have a local mechanic who is helping me pull, rebuild, and install the motor. I have too much in parts to take the chance of messing something up to do it alone.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I saw you jumped on another post with an ignition question. The Ford Duraspark electronic ignition is very good. I would keep it and save the money. I would make sure the mechanical and vacuum advance works, which is easy to check with a timing light. Good luck

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
So I keep the stock distributor and just upgrade the coil? I was looking at a MSD Blaster 2 for the coil.

Sorry for all the questions. All my motor work has been on a 1960 ford f100 with a 223 motor. It's basically a tractor with doors. 3 on the tree baby!!