• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help planning drivetrain

GrayB

Hi All,

I've owned my '71 bronco since 1996, but have never done much work on it myself. I really want to learn, and am finally at a point where my bronco isn't my daily driver and I have some room in my garage. But I am not at all mechanically skilled. I'm currently running a bored 302 (not 5.0) that is maybe pushing 260HP carbureted, with an NP435, detroit in rear, trac-loc in front, 3.5" WH lift.

Here's what I really want: engine at 450ish HP, an automatic with overdrive, a low ratio transfer case, and fuel injection. I don't like not having overdrive, dislike the long throw shifting, and I hate stalling out at angles. I do of course love the low ratio granny of the NP435. I figure I probably need a stroker, a built AOD(E) or 700R4, an Atlas T-case, and some sort of fuel injection. I'm assuming building this will be a monumental task for someone like me, and one that I shouldn't start with. I would think I'd need some aftermarket fuel injection computer, because adapting a Ford computer won't work, given the power I want. My goal is to have a good crawler but also something that will have mean street accelleration (I know the latter isn't a noble goal, but that's what I want). Now add to that the perhaps ridiculous goal of me doing all the work myself, except for building the tranny. Meaning, I'd like to build the engine and do all the install.

Seeing as how that's a pretty lofty goal, I'm thinking I shouldn't take all that on for the first major project. A friend's friend is parting out his 1996 Border Patrol bronco, and is willing to sell the 5.0 and EFI, the heavy-duty version (ribbed) E40D, and the transfer case (probably NP205 or NP208) for around $600. I think it's all in running condition, but will likely need a rebuild. I was thinking that perhaps a more reasonable project would be to buy the 5.0 and EFI, and the E40D if it will fit, and use the EFI and E40D, along with an Atlas. I might put the EFI on my existing 302 (I'd have to switch cams due to firing order, right?), and use the E40D till it dies. That way I'd have the overdrive and wouldn't stall out on inclines. I'd love input on whether the E40D would work for me, whether the 1996 5.0 SEFI and computer would be reasonable to install, and whether the price is decent. I figure maybe that way I can run my bronco for a while and build up the 5.0 block in the meantime. I figure I'll learn a bit if I do this, and be more prepared for the 450HP project.

I'd also love input on how I could get to my true end goal of 450HP. Some of my questions are:

302 v. 351W; stroker?;
Would I need an aftermarket FI computer and if so, what's recommended?;
What tranny could stand up to this abuse? Art Carr sells a built-for-off-road, locking AODE that sounds really cool, and I can buy a computer that will allow me to tune the shift points. That's quite pricey, and I didn't know what people think of Art Carr versus just finding a local transmission shop. I don't think I want to dive into building a tranny. I do want OD and want a super low gear that I can lock myself into.

I know there's a lot written about this, so be pls be gentle and feel free to point me to threads The guy selling the parts needs to know by Friday, so I thought posting would be more efficient.

Thanks very much,
Gray

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
For your goals a stroked 351W is really the best option as it wont need to be to wild to attain those numbers and stock EFI should still work may need some tweeking but should still work.
Forget the 1996 bronco engine it has the truck style of EFI wont fit under the bronco hood. If you were staying with a 5.0 engine then it might be ok but I really wouldnt bother at this point. The tranny is useable but many prefer the newer tranny's. Tcase wont work its borg warner 1356? I believe to wide for a EB frame.
Theres a lot of threads over these subjects and many can give you first hand knowledge. Check the links section there are some writeups that will explain a lot.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
If looking for 450 HP, I would stay naturally aspirated. Much easier goal to obtain the hp you want. But, If i were building a EFI motor. I would start with a 351 Block and go from there. Comp Camp with a 10:1 compression, Forged Pistons and crank, Dart Pro 1 heads, a solid roller and not a hydrolic one. yes you will have to fic valve lash with the solid roller every 3,000 miles, but If you want the high horspower without going with a root style supercharger, then a solid is the way to go. Or you could just go with the poor mans power adder "Nitrous".

Good luck with which ever way you choose to go, but since it is your first time.. I would just go with a 351 and get the conversion kit to use the 5.8 manifold and adapt the 5.0 intake.

Attachments

• 2cents.gif
    2cents.gif
    221 bytes · Views: 152

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
engine at 450ish HP, an automatic with overdrive, a low ratio transfer case, and fuel injection
You can have anything with enough money. 450hp is a bit optimistic for a truck, and what for? Mud pits? Daily driver or climbing. go for torque over HP.

450hp will put stresses not just on the driveline, but frame as well. 450HP will also require lots of cooling.

Besides, if you just want 450hp to say you have 450hp, just say you have 450hp.

I like optimists, keep us in the loop. Good luck!

wpaeb

Loc.
Clarion ,PA
A 5.0 stroked to 347 or a 351 will get you your HP #'s. Ford MAF SEFI (93 mustang) computer and wiring will do the job fine. If need be have a chip burned at a tuner. The bronco intake is to large to clear the hood. It could be a good base motor though as you'll need a better intake any way.

OP
OP
G

GrayB

Well, I have a modified C6 corvette as my daily driver, so I like accelleration. I know 450HP is overkill for crawling. And yeah, some of it is for bragging rights. I'm at terms with the fact that is may not make sense, other than emotional sense.

Thanks very much for the helpful info - especially that re the actual engine components. Sounds like I ought to hold off the '96 bronco parts and get an injected 351W and start from there. If someone could be so kind as to point me to some threads or some searches as to what model and year Ford I should get the block and EFI out of, and what OD tranny might make the most sense, I'd really appreciate it. I know driveshaft angle can become a concern. I've seen the tech articles on AOD v. 700R4, and talked to Advance Adapters and Art Carr, and it sounds like a built, lockable AOD or AODE is probably the way to go.

OP
OP
G

GrayB

We must have crossed posts wpaeb. Thanks for the additional info.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Injected 351W's are found in trucks, vans, and broncos 86-96.
axle gearing can affect accelleration a good deal and make a engine feel lilke it has more power. Its also a factor when picking a OD tranny and camshaft for your engine.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Does it need to be FORD powered?

I would imagine that a stand alone 450HP LQ9, built 700R4 non computer, and a Stak 3 speed would meet your objectives.

(flame suit on ;D)