• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help please - how to adjust shift rods!

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I was crawling under the truck today doing things I probably shouldn't be, given my lack of mechanical knowledge. I've got a '76 with the original 3 speed on the column. The shifting is really sloppy. Sometimes neutral is hard to find, and can be very difficult to get down into 1st. So I started playing around with the shift rods. It looks like the bushings might be worn out.

Can someone help me with the proper procedure to adjust these?

There is a bushing at the end of the link arm right where it goes into the tranny. Those bushings seem worn, but not terrible.

Also, the bolt where that linkage attaches to the tranny were very loose. When I tightened them a bit, I couldn't shift at all. Backed them off a bit, and I seemed good to go.

I'm going to head out now and take some photos or videos, but any help greatly appreciated!

Ripper set of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcvDpemU32g&feature=youtu.be

And one from under the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkrIfsZyfvY&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
disconnect the shift rods at the transmission first. Up on the steering column side there's a slot where you can insert a rod or a drill bit to locate the linkage on that end, then adjust the linkage at the transmission side.

I don't however remember what position the linkage on the trans side needs to be in. But I believe they should both be in neutral?

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Are you talking about first undoing the two connections that are shown at the very start of my 2nd video?

Then put them both into neutral.

Then the rod or drill bit through the steering column to get everything aligned? Where exactly is this? Is it actually on the steering column?

Then once that rod or drill bit has them aligned in neutral, re-tighten the connections down by the tranny? At the very beginning of the video, it shows the slop in those connections. Am I correct in assuming I need new bushings? How bad does that look?

(Needabronco - BTW you are the one responsible for me buying this particular Bronco by pointing it out to me on one of my earlier threads. Thanks!! :)

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Yes the 2 arms coming out of the transmission go in neutral on both, the linkage (arms) get disconnected.

At the column where the 2 shift arms come out you'll see a slot where a small rod or drill bit can slide into both arms and go into a slot or retainer looking hole in the end of the column.

At that point you will adjust the ends of the linkage back to the arms coming out of the transmission.

Your bushings look well worn and I suspect the shift collar on the top of the column (where the shifter is) is also well worn. WH has a video on their website that walks you through replacing the collar.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing the place for the rod/drill bit to go in and align everything.

Those bushings are fairly loose as well. I think if I can replace those two bushings, the bushings where the alignment bolts go in on the bottom by the tranny, and get everything aligned and adjusted properly I'll be able to avoid more costly or invasive repairs.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Is neutral hard to find when running? It's hard to judge how it shifts when the drivetrain is cold and the motor isn't running (in your vid). You could have pressure on the driveline and the flywheel isn't spinning, etc...

To me, that looks pretty normal for the column shifter. You can replace those bushings on both ends of the linkage but don't expect some miracle smooth shifting afterwards. There's a lot of play naturally in that setup. What you need to distinguish is play from improper shifting. If it's popping out of gear or not fully engaging into gear, then the adjusters on the shift linkage can help.

Also note that 1st gear is not synchronized in the RAT/RAN so downshifting while moving is difficult despite the linkage. Lastly, that entire linkage is very delicate and klugy so you definitely can't speed shift or bang between gears. In fact, it's best to shift with as little force as necessary gently moving the shifter between the gears.

Personally I hated the stock column shifter and counted the days until I was able to swap to a 5-speed and floor shifter. There's also floor shifter kits (duff) for that stock 3-speed tranny too but they require some cutting of the tunnel.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If you look at the bottom picture on post 6, on the shift arms you'll see a large hole and a small hole. The large hole is where the linkage goes, and the smaller hole which is closer to the column is where the rod/drill bit goes. I don't have a stock 3 speed column here but my 66 will be here next week so I'd be more than happy to take pictures then.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Is this it right here? I can see the small hole on that shifter, but I guess the one on the shifter closer to the front of the vehicle is hidden?

Neutral can be pretty hard to find when running as well. It seems to take a bit of finesse to pull it back out of gear correctly into neutral. This is the first time I've ever driven a 3spd column shift, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but I'm pretty certain it's not supposed to be this sloppy/difficult!

Casey835

your shift linkage at the tranny does not look like mine. Not saying its not right. Maybe thats what they put on that year. I dont see what or how stops it from sliding when your changing gears. Those arms on the tranny should be tight, should not wobble only move center to front or rear. I will try to get you some pics later.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Just jumping in here but, 90% of the column shifting problems on Broncos is the pot metal shift mechanism inside the column where the gear shift lever fits in.

Do all the checks externally that everyone is trying to help you with first but then check inside the column.

hdfx81

Is the hose clamp on the shifter holding it in? There should be a pin thru the collar and shift lever, alot of times the collar breaks where the pin goes thru.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Guys, had a chance to look at this today. Was able to use the pin to set the shift rods in neutral, then adjust them down by the tranny. This made a world of difference! The bushings are still fairly worn, and the steering column bushings worn too, but the shifting is much better, and now neutral is very easy to find!

Big win for the day. Can put off column rebuild or replacement for at least a few months.

Here is a photo of a 3/16" screw being used to set the rods in neutral, maybe this will help out a few folks like me who couldn't originally figure this out.