• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help please, where to start (Video of it running added)

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Had the carb rebuilt, and installed pentronix 3 or so weeks ago. Been running great, tickled to death. Go to move it out of the garage this morning fires right up, purring like a kitten. In 25 feet of backing it up it starts sounding like it's starving for gas, and finally just dies. I didn't try it again because the gas gauge was low figured it needed some gas. Fast forward to this afternoon and I throw about 3 gallons of gas in it. Pumped the pedal 5 or 6 times and it started, but didn't want to stay running. Even giving it gas didn't really hep. Any ideas before of where to start, before I have it towed to a shop? Thanks

Last edited:

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Pull the hose to the carb and see if its getting enough fuel. Im betting that you might have sucked up some crud when you ran the tank low. If it runs but barely you might have a restriction. Probably a good time to change your fuel filters. Also are you running an electric or manual pump?

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Help please, where to start

Pull the hose to the carb and see if its getting enough fuel. Im betting that you might have sucked up some crud when you ran the tank low. If it runs but barely you might have a restriction. Probably a good time to change your fuel filters. Also are you running an electric or manual pump?

So I pulled the hose off the filter that's at the carb, no fuel dripped out of it. Should I pump the gas to see if any comes out or what? Thanks

3yrerame.jpg

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Help please, where to start

So I pulled the hose off the filter that's at the carb, no fuel dripped out of it. Should I pump the gas to see if any comes out or what? Thanks

3yrerame.jpg

You'll need to turn it over a few times to check if fuel is coming out. You may have a bad fuel pump or blocked fuel line.

Toddpole

Contributor
Remove the rotor from the distributor and set the cap back on so you don't get a spark. Put a rag under the disconnected hose and have someone crank it over. You should get a pretty good stream. If so, reconnect the fuel line and crank it for a few seconds to fill the carb bowl. Then put the rotor back on and try it again. If you don't get fuel you have a clogged fuel line or filter, sucked up some trash in the tank or have a leak between your tank and fuel pump causing it to suck air.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I will try this in the morning, one thing I noticed while it was acting up, that I just remembered, the oil pressure gauge was reading 90, would that have anything to do with it?

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Oil pressure wouldn't keep it from running

What is the oil pressure normally ?

90 is pretty good

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Pulled the cap off the dizzy, I was the only one home at the time so I just put a rag under the fuel line and cranked it. I know gas was flowing because I saw it squirt out by the fender. Put everything back together and started it, it started normal then as I back it out of the garage this is what happens I am keeping my foot on the gas, I take it off midway through the video and listen to what happens, it seems to be smoking more than before too. Please watch video and give me your advise. Thanks

[youtube]LRhKhl2g9h0[/youtube]

Here is another video of start up

[youtube]fheLorvrSAk[/youtube]

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its flooding out thats why its running rough and black smoke is coming out. You may have some dirt/debris in the needle seat in the carb. Might want to pull the cover off the carb and pull the needle seat to check it for debris.
Its not a fuel pump issue.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Its flooding out thats why its running rough and black smoke is coming out. You may have some dirt/debris in the needle seat in the carb. Might want to pull the cover off the carb and pull the needle seat to check it for debris.
Its not a fuel pump issue.

I pulled the float and needle seat out and everything looked clear. What would be next on the list? Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Make sure the tip of the needle is in good shape. You may want to pull the carb and dump out any fuel that may be the the passage way to the needle seat as the debris could be sitting down in the bottom of the passageway. Otherwise reinstall the float and recheck the float level. Then test drive.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Make sure the tip of the needle is in good shape. You may want to pull the carb and dump out any fuel that may be the the passage way to the needle seat as the debris could be sitting down in the bottom of the passageway. Otherwise reinstall the float and recheck the float level. Then test drive.

Broncnaz, I went back out to the garage to do something, I put the top of the carb back on together and said what the hell I'll fire it up. I fired it up and was idling fine like before and I crossed my fingers when I put it in R. It ran great, so I took to the street and bam, run like new. So I don't know if it was the needle, the float or what but after a 10 mile test drive I am tickled to say it's running great. Thanks for the tips, I guess there was a bit of trash somewhere just didn't see it.