• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help removing Drag Link from Pitman Arm

trippc3

Loc.
Orlando
So I know this should be a pretty basic thing, but I can't for the life of me get the drag link to drop out of the pitman arm. Am I missing something?? Shouldn't it just drop out??I've loaded it down with PB Blaster and hit it with heat, but it's not budging. I'm afraid to use a BFH because I might damage the power steering box. Any ideas?

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'm afraid to use a BFH because I might damage the power steering box. Any ideas?
I always use the "double BFH" method. I have a 5lb and 2lb hammer. I hold the 5lb tight to one side of the pitman arm (or whatever) then smack the other side with the 2lb.

dmeier

Loc.
Comfort, TX
Might want to consider renting or borrowing a pitman arm puller. If you have an impact driver (and a compressor) available it usually makes a quick job of it.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
So I know this should be a pretty basic thing, but I can't for the life of me get the drag link to drop out of the pitman arm. Am I missing something?? Shouldn't it just drop out??I've loaded it down with PB Blaster and hit it with heat, but it's not budging. I'm afraid to use a BFH because I might damage the power steering box. Any ideas?

I assume you've already tried a pickle fork? I've never have one defeat the fork.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Nothing like the right tool...
Pitmam puller wrked on my '70, hadn't moved in 39 yrs till wk ago. Pickle fork, doubble hammers? sshuucks. But I knew something wuz gunna 'break' n glad it wuz the arm from the box!
cf

OP
OP
trippc3

trippc3

Loc.
Orlando
Finally got it. Just kept spraying with PB every few minutes then took a few whacks at it with the BFH and finally popped off. Thanks for all the ideas!