• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help removing locking hubs

Pkdupont

Loc.
Fairfax Station
I'm trying to remove my Stock Ford locking hubs, as the front wheels did not engage recently when it snowed. I removed the 6 Allen head bolts, but was not able to remove the locking hub.
I tried persuading with couple of different weight hammers / mallets but that did not help.
The videos I've run across make it seem as thought the hub should simply pop right off.
Am I missing a step in the process? Or do I need to apply a little more elbow grease?
Any tips very much appreciated.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Did mine YEARS ago with no issues, so I don't exactly remember the procedure. But, have you tried turning the lock-unlock knob back and forth between lock and free?? Is the transfer case gear in 2H or other?? Maybe needs to be in neutral??

I really wish I could help/remember more.....sorry.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
There is a wire snap ring around the outside and another on the end of the axle shaft. Did you remove those? If those are removed it “should” slide out. You may have to insert a couple of the Allen screws in to use as handles, just don’t be overly aggressive with them, you don’t want to bend or break them.

If you do not find a snap ring on the end of the axle and it comes out don’t worry, common item to be missing.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After you remove those 6 bolts, the outer part of the hub should just pop off easily. A little persuasion with a rubber mallet on the sides of it might be required.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If they've been serviced before someone might have used rtv in replace of the O ring which toy can't get anymore. I used rtv on mine

Tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To deal with what Timmy said you may need to run a knife or a razor blade around the perimeter first just to make sure. But you should be able to see if any sealant was used.
Just as likely the bearing hub itself might’ve taken a hit in the past and become distorted. That might lock the hub cover in place more than normal. But you should still feel some slight rocking I would think. If it’s not rocking at all then be careful about forcing. But in that case the outlook doesn’t look pretty.

I don’t remember the ears of the disconnect inside being able to actually interlock with the red knob, but in case they have somehow become stuck together inside that would certainly lock it in place. Only the outer chrome bezel/cover and the inner red plastic actuating knob should come out after the six bolts are removed.