• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help, so lost, where do I begin?

wanting2learn

Loc.
Louisville
My dad has given me his 1970 Bronco sport (uncut, 302, 3 on tree, 4x4) so that I can fix it up how I like. He bought it new off the showroom floor and has taken good care of it. It was his daily driver until 1994 when he retired and now he only drives it 5-6 times a year.
Things that I would like to have done are new paint job, interior-seats, carpeting, etc. power steering, power brakes, change to automatic transmission, lift kit or suspension for bigger tires without cutting, AC?. I'm sure there are other things that need to be done that I do not know about. I have found a mechanic that can do everything, all I have to do is purchase the kits/needed materials for him to start working. My questions are where do I start, what should be done first? I have been on the computer for the last month trying to figure out what to do, but am no further along than the first day I started. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If this information is already out there some where, please just let me know where to look. Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Brakes and power steering first. There are many of us that would list power disc brakes and power steering as the best mods we have done to our Broncos.

I would take care of all of the mechanical stuff you want to do before tackling the interior and paint job.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
If you drive it, you will know. What's the first thing you think needs improvement? Now you only have one thing to research. When that's done, go for another drive.

Realistically, power steering isn't needed until you're wheelin it. I'd probably recommend power brakes first. Three on the Tree is actually kinda cool to drive. Especially in a stocker. I enjoyed it. It should be a right of passage for all bronco owners.

SKEETER

Loc.
Pensacola Fl.
If it was mine I would get the pw brakes, steering and automatic changed first. Then I would work on the interior items you mentioned. Next I would get the lift, and tire info from here
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111616&highlight=luber
You might even find a color you like in this thread. And the last thing I would do is paint it. Again, that is what I would do. It really just depends on what YOU want to do, and when you do it. There is no perticular order you should follow. Hope this helps, and keep us posted on your progress;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First is to make a plan (you are working on that I know).
What do you want the final product to be?
Do you want to preserve it in the original condition?
Trying to modify it, if so what are your goals? Daily driver, weekend warrior, mall cruiser, trailer queen show truck? Pick one, it is nearly impossible to do 2 or even bridge between 2 for very long.

Are you wiling to just put it down, spend everything and not drive it until it is done? Or do you plan to drive it (if that is even in the plans) between stages? Kinda depends on the final goal.

Keep in mind that it can only be original once. After you start cutting the body, drilling and welding stuff on it will never go back to original. It could be restored, but it will never be original ever again. So think of that and your dad and the 38 years he has kept it original before you start changing things too much.

Then again if it has major rust, it may be too far beyond original to keep it that way.

So get back with us on what you want. Then we can start planning your attack.

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
This is just my $.02, if it was mine and it was all original I would just restore it to like new condition and not modify it. Maybe look for one that's already been molested to customize to your liking.

Either way start at ground level and work your way up. Mechanical is first, cosmetics are last. Safety modifications like new tires,brakes, brake lines, gas line, gas tank, steering upgrades should be done first and foremost if they are needed. Leaking items should also be addressed early on.

Congrats on the new to your Bronco and welcome to the club.
Greg

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Trying to modify it, if so what are your goals? Daily driver, weekend warrior, mall cruiser, trailer queen show truck? Pick one, it is nearly impossible to do 2 or even bridge between 2 for very long. ---- Broncobowsher

Thems are very wise words.
If it is a clean truck , I'd restore it , maybe minor mods for drivability , leave it uncut.
If you want to offroad , buy a beater , thats what I ended up doing after only three years of trying to fix my first one up (the 69). Catch a few rides to go offroading to see what I mean. You'll see that it would be a shame to tear up a clean original truck , and it happens very easily.
So , the short of it is back to you , what do you want out of the truck ?
Daily driver (dd) , trailer queen , offroad terror , Sunday driver ... etc.

OP
OP
W

wanting2learn

Loc.
Louisville
To answer a few of the questions... I want it to be a daily driver but I would probably only drive it on the weekends and preferably in good weather. I would like to be able to drive it back and forth to the lake (2 hour drive) and not have to worry about any issues. This vehicle will never be used for any type of off-roading and I will never be selling it. The main reason for me wanting to fix it up is the fact that it was my dads, he has always loved this Bronco and still does. My dad is kind of cheap and would never put the money into it to get it completely mechanically solid/updated and top notch paint job/new interior. I look forward to seeing his face when it is completely done and him driving around in it. I would like to keep it as original as possible but still want to make it comfortable. I will definitely not be cutting the truck, which is why I will have to figure out the lift or suspension if I decide to get bigger tires. I have seen some pictures of uncut Broncos with bigger tires / lift kits and I think they look better than the original tires. Obviously just a issue of different taste. I am not worried about resale value as it will always stay in the family.
I want to get all the mechanical parts needed and drop it off at the mechanics and leave it until it is completely done. Then pick it up and drop it for the paint/interior work to be finished. I do not want to drive it in between, just when it is completely finished. I have uploaded 3 pictures that I had of the Bronco. As you can see by the side picture, it has a little rust forming under the crease? that goes down the side of the vehicle. I am not sure what it will take to fix this the right way before painting. Like I said I am totally lost when it comes to fixing cars. So if power steering and brakes should be first, where would I get these items at the best price? Do they come as a kit with everything needed included? I have driven the Bronco and did not like the 3 on the tree but I guess I could get use to this, but I cannot get use to feeling of a weight lifting routine from no power steering. Is there a difference in power steering that can be purchased for the Bronco, if so what is the best, along with the best power brakes? I didn't think about those questions that you all had asked, I guess that goes along with this being new and me being lost. Hopefully this has narrowed down the answers for what I should start with and do. Thank you for any suggestions that you can give me. I look forward to using your advice to get started buying and I would love to be able to drive the finished Bronco to the lake in May if it is possible.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
First, most people will tell you a Bronco is never "completely done"!

Is your mechanic familiar with early Broncos? If not, you'll probably be paying him to learn. But, also if he's not familiar with them, it is best that you get complete kits from one of the Bronco vendors for each of the upgrades you want. This will keep the custom fab work to a minimum. Most people on here are DIY'ers and, if you are interested in learning about cars and working on them (note your username!), you can't get any better than the Bronco for simplicity and ease of working on it. So you might want to try some of this yourself. Pretty easy with this CB support group!

Just click on the sponsor links - most will have kits for disk brakes, vac power or hydroboost, power steering, and mild lift kits. Be sure you go with a Bronco vendor for the lift kits - they make the best ones specific for our trucks - don't go with Superlift or Rancho or other show truck type vendor. They'll ride stiff. Good luck and be sure to post pics of your progress.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wanting2learn , great user name. Like above , I'd like to see you truly apply that. As stated , these are as basic as vehicles get , great platform to learn from.
Not to familiar w/ uncuts , but you could go with 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 inch lift kits and use a BF Goodrich 33 x 9.5 x 15 tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...mark=1&performance=ORAT&RunFlat=All&x=84&y=10
and remain uncut. I've not yet bought a complete suspension kit , but I'm leaning towards Duffs for that.

Your 70 probably has a Dana 30 front axle (fine for on road) , Wildhorses sells a disc brake conversion kit for that , it will also fit a Dana 44 if you happen to have that axle for some reason. Other vendors may have this kit also , I used WH , no probs. Your new rims will need have a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern with around 3.5 to 4 inches of backspace.BFG suggests a 7.5 inch wide rim for that tire , 8 will work just fine , if you want new rims . Examples :
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...94795098+4294793325+4294755955+115+4294795099

Power brakes , my vote , go hydroboost , but that may really cost you at the mechanics shop. Then again , talk to the good folks at WH and they will set you up with the proper POWER STEERING needed to power the hydro unit. If they know that both are going in at the same time , they can really CYA on the loose ends.

Shifter , Duffs sells a shifter conversion to get that shifter mounted to the floor.

Otherwise , sky is the limit , :
Do you want a modern overdrive tranny ? (NV3550) Probably about 3k in parts alone , but they have kits .
Interior - stock or big $$ Mastercraft heated seats for those brisk fall rides with a bikini top , enjoying the changing of the leaves around Louisville. :)

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
If it were me, I would do the follwing in order:

1) Add power steering. It is not that hard to do and shouldn't take more than a weekened to complete it. (This is a must have!)

2) Power disc brakes. Do some research and figure out what you want. Vacuum, hydroboost, chevy conversion????? Then buy a full kit and be done with it.

3) All new bushings & body mounts! and at the same time do #4 as well.

4) 2.5" lift (complete kit - don't piece meal it)

5) New 31's with the correct backspacing to tuck them in the uncut fenders.

6) If it were me, I would leave it a manual trans, or convert it to an NV3550 5 speed. You could go C-4 easy enough, but you are going to need a bunch of things to make the conversion to auto-matic. More expensive to convert to Auto than to put a modern manual (NV3550) in it.

That's my $.02

7) Cosmetics last!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, civilized restoration with comfort creatures. Sound about right?

Keep all the flavor of the original bronco, something that will look like it is completely original, but drives a lot more like a new car.

Keep the suspension lift to a minimum, no more then 2½"
Do power steering. Venders have kits that have all the parts in one place.
Brakes, put some disk brakes on the front. That will help a lot For power brakes hydroboost gives you a very powerful brake system that rivals the best of many new performance cars. My hydroboosted disk brakes feel as good as the Brembo brake upgrade I had on the Sentra SER Spec-V. One of the overlooked keys is quality pads (not cheapies, not lifetime either).

The C4 swap is easy enough to do and find part for. It was a factory option from '73 to '77 and they make aftermarket adaptors as well. Done with a rebuilt steering column you can have an original column shift automatic to keep the original fronco theme going on.

Bodywork, I don't touch it.

Eletrical is a big thing. Upgrade at any hint of multiple issues or any rat's nest of wires. Painless just came out with a revised kit that took massive input from this board. I have seen one kit in person and they have raised the bar in Bronco wiring harnesses.

Back to suspension, soft springs are good. 2 hour road trips and minimal 4WD usage, put sway bars on both ends. It will help with the new car feel. While at it use 7° C-bushings. With power steering you want all the caster you can get. It helps track straight down the road. They were originally built with minimal caster (and thus the low spec) to make the manual steering easier to drive. But caster is your friend with power steering.

What other ramblings can I think of...

What would you like for the engine? Stock rebuild is completely acceptable for your goals. Probably one of the more economical choices. Many cannot pass on the opertunity to hot rod it a little. Done tastefully it can come out nice. True vintage 60's/70's valve covers could be a nice touch. Stock air cleaner works so well in the original look I would recomend trying to keep it if possible. another way to go is a nice modern injected 5.0 engine. Turn key starting, good drivability, can leave it sitting for 6 months and a fresh battery is all that is needed to start it. And completely capable of going back to original if you keep the original engine stashed away in a corner. Late model Explorer engines work really nice as they have room for a modern clutched mechanical fan and the belt runs a high output alternator, good power steering pump and an efficient A/C compressor. All stuff you will want. So that is a completely viable option as I see it as well.

What you don't need to spend a ton of cash on...
Axle upgrades. Stock axles will be just fine for your needs.
Long arm suspension, not needed or even desired for your plans
fancy shock mounts, stock mounts will handle your needs just fine
Lockers, although limited slip at least in one axle is a good thing to have when you need it.

Remember to keep your work "timeless" as possible. That will keep it from getting dated and needing another change. Done right and it will look like it did 30 years ago and will still be proper 30 years from now.

You have a Bronco Supply house about 250 miles away. They have been around forever. James Duff. They carry the same lines of restoration parts as everyone else. Local is always nice.

66Bronco

A lot of good advise above. Like others have stated if it's original I'd opt to keep it that way. I'd also recommend doing the work yourself. Personally I don't do bodywork either although I've tried (I now know my limites). I had no formal "mechanic" training and simply learned by doing on my first Bronco, a '74 Sport. Truth be told I wasn't even able to drive it home after I bought it. I didn't have the hang of the 3 on the tree so I let my friend drive it to my apartment and park it in my assigned stall. I managed to do a lot w/out having a garage and relied heavily on good friends for help.

Good Luck!

-Terry

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
This is just my $.02, if it was mine and it was all original I would just restore it to like new condition and not modify it. Maybe look for one that's already been molested to customize to your liking.

Either way start at ground level and work your way up. Mechanical is first, cosmetics are last. Safety modifications like new tires,brakes, brake lines, gas line, gas tank, steering upgrades should be done first and foremost if they are needed. Leaking items should also be addressed early on.

Congrats on the new to your Bronco and welcome to the club.
Greg

Just like he said...dont cut it, find another one to bash into rocks and mud that is cut. Not alot of these left around and espically one orignal from a dad. You will appreciate it later in life even more for just its sentimental value. Just my 3 cents.

Chip Foosh Overhaulin Bronco project: http://broncograveyard.com/v/events/overhaulin/

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
This thread reminds me of a certain babygirl I know when she brought home that 66 almost 4 years ago. If I knew then what I know now...

Get the brakes taken care of and then stop the cancer.

Good luck W2L.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
same with my '76...if I knew then what I know now, I'd be driving it instead of selling all the parts off and letting the rest collect dust in the garage...I look at my parts and shale my head as the reasoning I had when I took it apart...

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This thread reminds me of a certain babygirl I know when she brought home that 66 almost 4 years ago. If I knew then what I know now...

Get the brakes taken care of and then stop the cancer.

Good luck W2L.

HAHAHA , distilled down to one line , good job Babygirl .....Fix the brakes then fix the cancer.

Another one I heard a long time ago ..... Get it to stop and go right first , then make it look good ....:cool:

OP
OP
W

wanting2learn

Loc.
Louisville
Thanks for all the suggestions, so many options to choose from. Reading some of the posts feels like trying to read a foreign language. Hopefully someday I will be able to understand all of these possibilities.
I was talking to a friend that restores old Chevy vehicles yesterday and telling him what I would like to do. He said that he doesn't know anything about Ford products but for everything that I want to do, I should check into the possibility of doing a motor swap. He also said to ask on this sight what others have swapped motors and what motors work best and fit best, maybe a mustang 5.0?
My dad said that he had a short block put in about 20 years ago but other than that everything is old. Would it be possible to do a motor swap and have it be easier, along with having fewer things in need of repair over the long run. After thinking about it the AC is going to be a must while drving 2 hours in 100 degree temps. I am by no means prissy, but do not like smelling like a goat either.
Would a motor swap be more economical, fuel injection? AC? and include everything needed rather than buying everything seperately. Again some of these questions might sound dumb, but like I said this whole thing is like reading a foreign language to me. Thanks

OP
OP
W

wanting2learn

Loc.
Louisville
Oh and to Hoosierdaddy, I think we went from 80 temps straight to freezing, however yesterday and today have been 70ish. No wonder everyone is sick around here. The first Sunday (not Sat.) in May will not get here fast enough!