• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Spring Cup Looks Off

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You mentioned you tried those stainless retainers with the factory arms as well as the T-rex arms and had the same results... do you have a factory original set of retainers to try for comparison? maybe the stamping of the SS retainers is off somehow?

Whatever you go with just don't expect or plan on attaining perfectly straight springs, it can happen but there are so many variables that can elicit a bow or a twist. Even the suspension cycling is constantly changing the angle of the spring through the radius arm's range of motion.

I ran into some minor issues when putting together my front suspension (Loving the James Duff long arms!), the aftermarket flat style coil cups interfered with my track bar riser and round bump stops. Plus, the springs sat tilted on the flat cups leading to some extra bowing, especially on the passenger side.
I could have made them fit and work but instead I decided to try and make my own, but a little differently.
That all happened here on this page of my build thread... back in the good ole' days;D

I often get asked if my coil cups will cure spring bow issues, I'll tell them it's possible, as it did on my truck, but not guaranteed due to many variables along with differing angles, heights and positions of different suspensions and components.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Many thanks! Both arm sets had the same results. Only thing I can add is I did stay with the 7 degree C bushings, I am running a 2.5 inch lift so I know I can go down to a 4 or less with the T Rex arms and still get good caster. I will try the one piece cups this weekend.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Monster Mike thanks for your input. An EB friend came by today with a pair of HD spring cups. I installed the cups on the arm instead of the front C clamp on and it made for a much better fit. The springs went right in with no fight. Thanks

Attachments

• E43151EF-4CB9-4478-B58B-7F1FE42E8981.jpg
    E43151EF-4CB9-4478-B58B-7F1FE42E8981.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 30
  • 2C130420-AA0A-479C-AEEB-84A5C2C78578.jpg
    2C130420-AA0A-479C-AEEB-84A5C2C78578.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 33