• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP!-Timing engine troubles!!!!

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Got the motor put back together today and when we tried to time the motor we couldn't find any sort of pointer/marker on the motor. Had a spare motor(73) with a pointer on the driver side, took that off and put it on the 71 motor but that is far from correct. Finally just did the best we could to get it running but what are we missing?? Should there be a pointer on the passengers side, a couple of the manual we have show it there but we can't find anything. Any help here would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks, Walt

Dan76

I dont have one on the passengers side, just a little piece of metal that comes to a point at the end that bolts to the timing chain cover where the fuel pump is and sits over the harmonic balancer.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
That sounds like the pointer that we took off the 73 motor and put on the 71, had one bolt and a small screw holding it in place, problem is that when we tried to time it to that it was way off. Wonder if maybe there is a problem with the balancer, could that be incorrect?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like your new engine has a balancer thats not for a bronco application. Most 302's had the pass side pointer but with the bronco water pump you cant see it so it has to be moved to the drivers side. If your engine cam out of a van the pointer could be on the bottom.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Had assumed the engine was stock in the 71 but no way of confirming that, I'll comapre the balancers to see if there is a difference.

Thanks, Walt

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
can check mine as well walt, not going anywhere yet.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
here is a pic of my pointer

Don,
That pointer is different from the one on my 73 motor, do you know what year that is?

Randy,
I'll post a picture of mine so we can compare. How was your vacation?

Thanks, Walt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Walt
When I installed the Ford racing 5 liter, I stole the pointer off of the stock motor that was in the truck.

I allways have assumed the old engine was a 77, but being a Bronco who really knows.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Thanks, Don

Here is a picture of the end of the pointer, it has a small screw and a larger bolt that hold it in place. This pointer came off the 73 motor.

Also included a picture of the motor, thanks to Rmain101 for the powdercoating(and getting the motor running again). Unfortunately it appears I won't be able to use the air cleaner when I convert the distributor cap to the newer style.:cry:

Attachments

• pointer.jpg
    pointer.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 31
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 34

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I have a stock 71 motor and the pointer is on the drivers side and there is no problem seeing it from above and a little to the side, can you even find timing marks on the balancer, i used a silver sharpie on the marks on mine and it made it much easier to read. Couple things to check, maybe dumb, bu i have made mistakes in the past. Make sure you have the correct firing order, there are several available for a 302, make sure you have the correct balancer, and make sure you have the timing light on the right wire, dont forget to unplug the vacuum advance either.

Hope this helps some

Grant

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Is this the pointer you have? I had to buy a timing tape....but this is a 5.0 H/B with a 302 water pump. If you have a new timing light mark TDC under your pointer and dial in your timing at the light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
grant_71,

Thanks for the tips, not sure we pulled the vacumn advance when we were timing it, will do that next time.

Nyles,

That pointer is like the one we took off the 73 so at least that may be right, still need to do some checking on the balancers to confirm if they are correct.

Thanks, Walt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
When you pull off the vacuum line make sure you plug it up with a golf tee or something like it.

Another little trick you can do, if you have a fuel pressure guage, and are running a mechanical fuel pump. As you turn advance the distributor, you watch the fuel pressure rise. When it first gets to 6 or 7 lbs, thats normally around 12 degrees above top dead center. As you advance it from there it doesn't seem to raise any higher than 6-7 lbs.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Did you replaced the balancer? I bought one for mine that has three different timing marks. I thought I put it on right, but after timing mine, the timing mark is off on the balancer. Just something to consider.