• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with 4r70w install

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Need a little help with 4r70w install.

Essentially I have tried a number of times to get it to mate up and it always jams up.

I think that maybe I might have the wrong engine separator plate and the torque converter bolts are hanging up on the separator plate? If it's not I am at a loss for what it could be.

By the way I bought this from a fellow CB.com member who was running it behind an early 351w, and I am doing the same.

36Fan

Contributor
Converter seated into trans correctly?
Converter bolt pattern same as flexplate?
Correct flexplate depth?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried to mate a 4r70w to a 351 and it jammed.

Turns out I needed a specific flexplate, I tried to use the flexplate from the mid 90s van I pulled the engine out of that was already bolted to the 351 and it was wrong offset.

I will get you the number

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford Flywheel Flexplate 302-351W EOAZ-6375A

I had trouble finding it and ended up getting it off ebay.

This worked for my 2000 explorer 4r70w to 1995 Van 351.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_073839_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_073839_Chrome.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20200618-212415_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200618-212415_Gallery.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Ford Flywheel Flexplate 302-351W EOAZ-6375A

I had trouble finding it and ended up getting it off ebay.

This worked for my 2000 explorer 4r70w to 1995 Van 351.
Thanks! what separator plate did you use?
I bought a brand new one but it seems cheap and may not have the right clearance.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Converter seated into trans correctly?
Converter bolt pattern same as flexplate?
Correct flexplate depth?
Yes
Yes
That is the a good question. I bought one with the correct imbalance and tooth count, easily slides on and off the converter. Offset may be where I am missing something but I am going to recheck that as well.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes
Yes
That is the a good question. I bought one with the correct imbalance and tooth count, easily slides on and off the converter. Offset may be where I am missing something but I am going to recheck that as well.
I did the same thing, had the right size and balance, offset was about 1/2" different.

36Fan

Contributor
You probably have the shallow one for the c6 etc, you might need the deeper one for the E4od etc.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
The stock Bronco C4 flexplate has the correct offset but you may need to hog the torque converter stud holes out a little. It will mate up with the converter for a 96-01 Exploder. Also, use the block plate for the same exploder. Make sure that the converter is completely seated in the transmission. You should hear/feel 3 distinct “clicks”.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The stock Bronco C4 flexplate has the correct offset but you may need to hog the torque converter stud holes out a little. It will mate up with the converter for a 96-01 Exploder. Also, use the block plate for the same exploder. Make sure that the converter is completely seated in the transmission. You should hear/feel 3 distinct “clicks”.
Thanks, yes the converter easily slid through the flexplate holes and it was seated. Just damn frustrating.

I think I will find a stock separator plate and give it another go.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well I finally got the 4r70w installed and yes it was something easy I was missing... DOH!
Thomas Kincer shared with me in Townsend this year that the 4R70w has 3 clicks for the TQ to slide all the way in to position. Mine we were only getting it back two clicks like the old C-4/C-6 trannies.

So tranny is in and the Atlas II is mounted and in! Progress baby!