• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with My Motor Options for V8 Swap

Should I stick with the 5.0 or go for the 351w?

• 1986 5.0

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 1997 351w

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

ILikeBond

Planning to swap out the 200c inline 6 in my '74 for a V8.

I bought an '86 5.0 mustang motorj (E6ZE), complete other than harness, including cold air intake with MAF and computer (but no front accessories, and the guy busted the distributor cap loading it up), for what I think was a great deal, $350. Mileage unknown, but I was told it was running strong when pulled. I started tearing it down last night, and the insides of the heads looked pretty good, I thought. Plan is to break it down, clean it, possibly take the block to the machine shop, replace any worn/broken parts (including all gaskets) and upgrade others, paint, and reassemble before dropping into the Bronc.

IMG_1124.jpg IMG_1194.jpg IMG_1199.jpg

However, I also have a lead on a different engine... ;D

It's a 1997 351w purchased from a ford dealership, but never run (instead, sitting in a shop collecting dust - as you can see from the pics). Complete from water pump to flywheel, with complete EFI setup including harness and computer. Asking price is far steeper - $2,500. I suspect I could sell the 5.0 for what I paid, or more (especially if I clean it up first).

351w.jpg 351wr.jpg

I can afford the 351w, but I also want to be economical in my build. I'm upgrading the suspension and adding an NV3550 (currently 3-on-the-tree). Bronco will be more of a streeter/daily driver, light trail/camping/beach type use (though will also choose parts with idea that I could do light wheeling if I wanted). She will also stay a LUBER.

I'd like your opinions. Will the '86 be a good, solid option for me? Anything about this particular block I should know or look for? Any suggestions on how to maximize my tear down/rebuild of this engine while it's on a stand? Can I retain the front accessories from my I6 with different brackets? This will be my first time doing real engine work.

Should I spend the money on the newer 351w? Anything to ask or look for before purchasing? Anything I should know about this block? I'm planning on a 1" body lift for the NV3550 - would I still need a solution to close the hood and avoid rubbing?

One of the big advantages would be avoiding the need to tear the engine apart, but I don't know if it's really worth the extra $.

Thanks!
Bond (Jack)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For your stated use, I'd stick with the 302.
Yeah, that 508 is a sweet find, but for street use with a 3550 behind it, I just don't see the need for the additional torque.
And I ALWAYS see a need for more torque!

The 5.8 won't fit under the hood with a 1" I don't think. Others that have done it (not that many) will chime in I'm sure, but I beleive that even with a 3" body lift it's a tight fit.
The truck EFI systems are not as well supported, but since you have it all (including an ECM too I hope?) that might not be as big an issue. And if you want to use the more standard, and lower profile, Mass Air Mustang setups, you need adapters to mount the intakes. More money...

So I like the 5.8, but be ready for more work to make it fit, and more expense than you think to make it work, and a little more potential toll on the tranny if you use larger tires and happen to have a heavy right foot.
With modest size tires though (this is a LUBR after all) and a resistance to hot-rodding around all the time, I'm guessing the trans should be ok.

Others will have more insight I'm sure. I like the 5.0's because I feel that they can achieve better fuel economy than a 5.8 can when done right. Not 100% sure of that of course, because I've never known anyone with a 5.8 that got decent economy that I could compare. But it seems logical.

Have fun.

Paul

OP
OP
ILikeBond

ILikeBond

Thanks for the advice, Paul, and others for voting. I'm enjoying the process of tearing the engine down (learning a lot just by doing it) and looking forward to the rest of it, too, so I'm going to stick with the 5.0 and see where it takes me I think. The outside of the engine is dirty as hell, but everything important has looked in good shape as I've proceeded, e.g., heads (no sludge at all), spark plugs (though they could have been replaced recently), so that's encouraging.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I kind of agree the 5.0 may be the better choice. As its a much better fit. My only concern is that 86 engines tend to have the worst heads ford ever made so if you have E6 heads on it I would consider swapping them for e7's.

on the other hand that 351 is not a bad deal and if you plan to run a carb it will fit under the hood with a 1in body lift, got to figure the 351 just needs the manifold and dizzy swapped. where the 5.0 needs a complte rebuild so in the end the 5.0 will cost you more.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I vote for '86 5.0 mustang motor

Good luck man...